Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Little Less Conversation

Actually, a little more conversation today.

Activity: Run
Date: 03/15/08 07:24 AM
Distance: 12.86 miles
Time: 2:05:15
Speed: 6.2 mph
Pace: 9' 44 min/mile
Calories: 1213


Today's long run with the track club was a marathon pace run along a 2 mile stretch near Hospitality Point on the jetty, running out and back until 2 hours was up. My goal was to run between a 9:45 and 10:00 minute mile, and I did an average 9:44 m/m. Before this run I was really dreading what I thought was going to be monotonous. The bay is usually very scenic, and the meeting place at Hospitality Point is nice, but that 2 mile stretch along the jetty can get kind of ho-hum after just a couple of times. The thing that kept this run from becoming stale was all the people. Since I was going for a slower pace, I was able to have some nice conversations with many people and meet some different people. Since we were running out and back a few times, we were able to high five our friends, spouses and significant others as they passed by in the opposite direction. I ran very consistently and kept my pace where it needed to be. I followed one of the Yellow Hat volunteers that run with the group for support, a Ye-ha, and his pace was a 9:45 minute mile. I was able to run with/follow him or catch up to him for the majority of the run. There is always the urge to go faster, and I had to constantly remind myself to hold back and go slower. I finished my run with Elvis. Really. A pot-luck brunch was held afterwards.

I hope to post run pictures tomorrow.

Yesterday's song:

Happiness Is - Ray Confiff (and many others)
PEACE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a good run. Wish I could be there to cheer you on and high five you as you passed by!

barbie2be said...

elvis, of course!

what is a yellow hat?

Irene said...

Evelyne,
It was much better than I thought it would be!

Barbie2be,
Winner!!!
A Yellow Hat, Ye-Ha for short, is a volunteer for the track club who runs with the group for support or help. They wear bright, day glow yellow hats so they're easy to find. There are about 20 Ye-Ha's who run at all different paces.