Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I've Got To Be Me

Photo - flowers in my backyard this morning.


Leslie - Be A Good One, did this meme a little while ago. I thought I would give it a try, plus I need to post something while I have the time...

5 names you like
Steven (I wanted to name my son Steven but my husband and I couldn't agree on the spelling...)
Alexandra
Kathryn/Catherine
Dustin
Michelle

5 names you don't like
Hortencia
Hildegard
Ursula
Eunice
Constance (My grandma wanted me to have this name)

5 of your most overused words or phrases
Peace
Hugs
Put your dishes in the dishwasher.
Roll over, you're snoring.
Sit, shake, speak, good girl.

5 things you do, or should do, daily
I eat breakfast, every day.
I wear sunscreen, every day.
I watch the news at least once a day.
I should paint/draw daily.
I should meditate daily.

5 of your favorite stores
Bluefly.com
Overstock.com
Itunes Store
Road Runner Sports/ roadrunnersports.com
Target


Now, for the explanations:

Names I like:
*Stephen or Steven? We couldn't agree. Stupid, I know. My son says he likes his name, Erik, just fine.
*Alexander was my great grandfather's name and I wanted one of my children to have a form of the name. Alexandra is my daughter's middle name.
*Kathryn,Catherine, or even Katherine or Catheryn, etc... When I was in grade school I felt quite left out because I was the only Irene. The only other Irene I knew of was an elderly woman, and I just couldn't relate to her. I felt like I was stuck with an old lady name. My best two neighborhood friends at that time were Kathryn and Catherine, or Kathy and Cathy. Everyone could say the name "Cathy," even the Spanish nuns. The nuns massacred my name.
*Dustin - Before I ever met my husband, I thought Dustin would be a cool name for one of my kids, but Dustin does not go very well with our last name.
*Michelle was my *bestest* friend in the 3rd and 4th grade. We were glued toghether until she had to move out of state.

Names I don't like:
No offense to anyone who has these names. I know a Hortencia who is a beautiful person, inside and out, but I just don't care too much for the name. Same with the other names on the list. My great-grandmother was Constance, which is why my grandmother pushed for it. My mom didn't want me to be a Connie since that was her sister's name.

Overused words or phrases:
*Peace and hugs - I always end my blog posts in peace. Hugs - I like hugs.
*"Put your dishes in the dishwasher" and "Roll over, you're snoring." Do these really need explainations?
*"Sit, shake, speak, good girl." When my dog begs for treats, she needs to earn them. She begs for treats a few times a day.

Things I do/should do daily:
Nothing too exciting, but that's all. The meditation part should probably come in with some sort of praying thing, but I'm having a *thing* with structured religion right now. Meditation is different, though, and it would be good to make the time for it, even if it is for a few minutes out of the day.

Favorite stores:
Getting in the car to go out and spend a day out shopping just doesn't float my boat. All of those years working in retail took the joy out of going out shopping, which is why I listed my favorite on-line stores. There is some satisfacion in getting things like free shipping and other special on-line only offers. Target I like because they have fun stuff to look at if I go when they're not busy.

Yesterday's song:
Home - Chris Daughtry - Barbie2be


Peace


PS
I had to edit the post a gazillion times because, for some reason, blogger wasn't saving my edits!

7 comments:

barbie2be said...

sammy david jr?

names i love: isabella, jacob
names i hate: ??

barbie2be said...

doh! i meant of course sammy davis jr.

KatieFeldmom said...

I like Steven with a V, but I can see where you and hubby would have differences. In any case, I like Erik better.

barbie2be said...

my brother is stephen. we call him stef. and my nephew is dustin we call him dusty.

i like erik better than eric.

leslie said...

It's fun seeing your answers and getting to know you better, Irene!

Pamela said...

Well, I like Steven too.. :)
as you might recall..I Have a Steven ..with a V .. there was that whole do we do it "properly" thing .. but in the end his Dad wanted the "simple" version.. :P

As to the rest .. Leslie is right ..it's cool getting yet more neat insights into our Blends :) LOVE the "put you dishes in the dishwasher " ..I wonder how many times I have said that??? ~LOL~

Irene said...

Barbie2be -Winner! I knew who you meant the first time. ;) BTW, there's a bunch of ways to spell Erik. We've seen them all. I liked Stephen as Stef. That's rather cool.

Katie - My son said he's glad his name wasn't Steven or Stephen.

Leslie - The little things we learn about each other are fun!

Pamela - Aside from my son's name, did you know we didn't have a first name for my daughter when I was in labor with her??? Another over used phrase is "clean your room." LOL.