Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Last Mile

Activity: Run
Date: 02/16/08 07:17 AM
Distance: 10.63 miles
Time: 1:47:30
Speed: 5.9 mph
Pace: 10' 07 min/mile
Calories: 1015





and

Activity: Run
Date: 02/16/08 09:12 AM
Distance: 0.85 miles
Time: 0:09:52
Speed: 5.2 mph
Pace: 11' 36 min/mile
Calories: 80






Today's SDTC long run started at the usual spot at Hospitality Point, but we ran where I normally do my long runs on my own, so this was not unfamiliar territory. On the surface it looked like it should have been a breeze for me to punch out this run, but I soon realized that I wasn't ready, since I'm still recouping from the flu last week. Sometimes I get going on a run and I quickly forget whatever is ailing me, but the more I got into the run, the more I was reminded that I really wasn't 100% ready to run. I ran with the B group and ran well for the first 6 miles, and the next 3 miles after that were just OK, but my stomach kept arguing with me. After the last electrolyte stop around mile 9 or so, that's when my stomach said it had enough. I thought I was going to lose my breakfast and there was no restroom in sight. I kept running, but slow. It was around the last mile where I just couldn't keep running and began a walk/run. I even reset my Wireless Run Tracker to reflect the walk run. 11 miles should be a snap for me by now, but that last mile just sucked the life out of me. Sandee, one of the ladies who runs just a little faster than I do, was waiting for me at the end. I usually finish right behind her, but I just couldn't. Michael had a cup of Gookinaid for me. I had attempted to stretch but the most comfortable position was seated with my head between my knees. Yeah, real attractive... Once we were home I was able to take a cold shower (yes, a cold shower for my screaming calves) and take a nap. My stomach has since settled a little, but I have no big plans today, so I'm going to take it easy and be OK with toast and tea.

One very bright spot in the run was seeing Anne at the last water stop. I wished we had time to catch up but I needed to finish my run. By the way, Anne, you looked wonderful!

One more thing, as we were running, the USA Cross Country Championships were getting ready to to start. We ran past the officials setting up the timing mats, stages and course flags and cones. This event will bring nearly 800 runners who are competing in age group and open championships in six races. I wish we could have stayed around to watch, but my husband had a client meeting and, well, you all know my story...

Enjoy your weekend.

Yesterday's song:
Weather With You - Jimmy Buffett - Barbie2be

Peace

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Sorry you felt less than your best for what might have been a delightful run for you. I thought it was mostly us up here in the north enduring winter that were "under the weather."
Best wishes for wellness.

Anne said...

Seeing you and Michael yesterday morning was a highlight of my volunteer stint. You looked terrific, even if you didn't feel like it.

Irene said...

Sunshine,
Thanks so much for your support! I was ever so thankful that it was a sunny day yesterday!

Anne,
Hope to see you again, soon!