Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Self Inflicted

I had every intention of posting something yesterday but I never got around to it. A certain little boy needed some major hugs.

Last night my husband and I went out for dinner instead of our usual Thursday night date. While at dinner he started asking about fall run events. I was kind of surprised that he asked. He hasn't really run since the marathon. He was running because I did. I kept reminding him that he can run on his own, but it's usually me getting him off his butt to run. We might actually show up for a November walk/run 5k. It's one we've participated in before, and there's brunch served afterward. I had it in my head that I did not want to participate in any events, especially a 5k, unless I could run. Well, I'm still not back to running yet. I'm sure I could walk a 5k with no problem, but it would take me just shy of an hour to complete. My head is still wrapped around my pace per mile, beating my last 5k time, seeing that finish line, and running so hard to the end that I feel like throwing up. This would be the first time I would walk a 5k IF we decide to participate. This little time dilemma probably sounds stupid to most people, but my body is still healing and dealing with pain, while my mindset has not changed and is so ready to move on. I'm so impatient right now. I could always just purchase the brunch and not run or walk, and save a spot for my husband at the brunch afterward. We'll see.

runfast

Monday's song:
Knocks Me Off My Feet - Stevie Wonder - Katiefeldmom

PEACE

8 comments:

NotSoccer Mom said...

if i were you i think i'd go ahead and walk it, no matter how long it takes. after all you've been thru, it might feel good to just get back into being a part of the event.

leslie said...

I think notsoccer mom may be right, I. I can SO understand the head/body mismatch, as that's how I felt when I was training for the fitness competition and dislocated my shoulder. Hello 3 pound weights!

It's great that Michael's finding his own inner runner, and I think you might really enjoy being in the race environment.

((hugs))

barbie2be said...

katy perry?

the only thing that is saving me is that a torn rotator cuff doesn't affect my walking. the nike is coming up in two weeks! yikes!

Irene said...

NSM,
Thanks for the perspective.

Leslie,
It's a weird mismatch, isn't it? I know, it's all baby steps right now.

Barbie2be,
Winner! I was wondering about you! I hope you will be OK to walk in the NHM! Keep me posted. :)

Anonymous said...

I SO understand what you mean. I haven't been injured as long as you, but not being able to do upper body workouts is driving me mad! One day I feel better and I think I'll just tell Tony to give me some and then the next thing I know it's sore again and it's a good thing I didn't ask him for any. When is it going to get better already??

HUGS.

Irene said...

Evelyne,
I keep telling myself that this is a gift. *sigh*

Anne said...

Llet me know if you decide to go to that race. I could use a friend out there.

Irene said...

Anne,
Good to know! I'll keep you posted.