Wednesday, June 18, 2008

(Just Like) Starting Over

Today I made an attempt at some sort of real workout and tracking my nutrition. I feel like I'm starting from scratch with everything. It's such a weird feeling.

Benchpress2

As we all know, part of accountability is putting everything in writing, no matter how lame it seems. I have to work back up to everything. Lower body anything is tough, even with pain medications. So here it is...

Bean push ups - 3 sets of 20
sort of bench dips - 3 sets of 20
Bicep curls with two 5# weights - to failure - about 50+ reps
Bean Abs - 4 sets of 50
Bean hamstring exercises - 1 set of 15

I'm using The Bean because it helps to alleviate pressure on the sore leg and I can work just on the upper body. I was hopeful that it would work the same for any lower body workout, but not quite. I need to figure out how to fit in some LBW exercises with out added stress to the leg, and I'm sure that will be all pool exercises. I should be able to get into a pool now but it's a matter of getting to a pool, and I'm not driving yet. I tried to convince my husband that a swimming pool was medically necessary and we should install one, but that didn't go over too well.

I've been tracking my food on Fitday. Nutrition was so-so. Calorie wise it's easy to stay on track, but it's the carbohydrate/ protein/fat ratios that are throwing me off. I need a higher protein to carbohydrate ratio right now, since I'm not running, and that's difficult, since I've been used to more carbohydrates in a runner's diet. I'm still coming out carb heavy.

My weight has remained relatively stable, but my body fat percentage has gone up, which means I've lost muscle. My clothes are even fitting differently. Ever since I've been weight training (about 10 years off and on) I've realized that the scale number is only a part of the equation. Body fat percentage changes everything. I'm even feeling extra fluffy and I've lost muscle tone in my legs already. I definitely feel like I'm starting from scratch. I'm just about at the point of taking those dreaded before pictures again, just to remind myself of what I need to do. Blech, but they do work.

In other news, I got my husband's Ipod shuffle to work. It hadn't worked since the marathon. He poured water over his head and forgot about wearing the Ipod -- It shorted out. I'm not sure what I did to make it work again, well, besides plugging it into it's charger and dropping it a couple of times, but it's back, and that thrills me because I know my new Ipod would go missing, the same way my camera goes missing, the same way my car goes missing...

Yesterday's song:
Get The Party Started - Pink - Barbie2be

PEACE

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take it easy, you will be back to your self before you know it. And since you haven't been eating unhealthy, your body will bounce right back.

Great news about the Ipod Shuffle! Whew! I LOVE my little shuffle. I can't see how people wear the BIG Ipods to work out with.

Michelle said...

You are a warrior! You'll get it all back, slowly but surely. Listen to your body as you build back up strength and take good care!

barbie2be said...

this week since my back is feeling a little better my chiro has got me doing some pelvic tilts.

just take it easy and go slow. you don't want to push it too hard and reinjury yourself.

oh, john lennon?

Irene said...

Evelyne,
I just need to be patient. Tracking on fitday is helping, at least I'm more aware of everything I eat. I have a 30GB Ipod and it's too big for working out, so I'm looking foward to using the shuffle -- it's nice and weighs next to nothing.

Michelle,
Yep... Slowly. Patience. ;) I'll get back to those heavier weights in no time.

Barbie2be,
They have me doing pelvic tilts, too, those are good for your butt as well as your back. I am going slow. I can't go fast at anything right now. :) Winner!