Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dangerous But Worth The Risk

On more than one occasion I've had to explain how my injury came to be. I've often joked that I should just print out a card that explains everything. Inevitably, someone will tell me that the reason they don't run is because of all the injuries that happens with running. I usually don't respond to that particular comment, but when I do respond I become quite passionate in defending my sport. More recently, it was someone who is quite athletic who said they don't run because of injuries like mine. Isn't there risk of injury participating in any sport? This same person has hiked up parts of Mount Kilimanjaro, gone white river rafting, plays in recreational league sports, and surfs, amongst other athletic endeavors. Isn't there risk of injury in all of those activities? I know more people who were injured while skiing, playing soccer, or driving (for that matter) than with running. When you get out of bed in the morning you face some sort of risk right away. I'm not suggesting that we all walk around covered in bubble wrap and helmets, either. We're human and we do get injured. What I am saying is that there is risk of injury with any sport, no matter how careful we think we are. I've even discussed my running with some of my doctors, and they all say it is better to keep running than to not run, that the benefits outweigh the risks. I also believe that everyone needs to find that activity that works best for them, and I would never impose running on someone, either. I always tell people to find something, some activity that brings them a sense of well being and joy. On that same note, don't diss my running, either, and try to scare me about injury, because I'm living it right now -- It's the risk I took. Running gives me that sense of well being and joy, and when I'm able, I'll be out there running again, risking it all.

Photobucket
Photo from Photobucket.com

Yesterday's Song
(Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon - Barbie2be

PEACE

6 comments:

Aka Alice said...

thbbbbbbbbbtttt to whoever was insensitive enough to say that to you... (Me being reasonable and mature)

You're so right, there's risk involved in running, or in any sport, but to say that any one sport is somehow safer than another is complete silliness. Look at Tiger Woods (knee surgery due to golf, what some might term as the tamest of sports?)

barbie2be said...

i can honestly say that i have injured my self much worse when i wasn't doing sports than when i was. i mean, i knocked myself unconscious with the car door in a parking lot. i broke my ankle walking in a mall. i broke my right arm falling out of my desk chair. i very nearly cut the top of my finger the top off with a butter knife for crying out loud.

oh hell... i am a klutz.

Michelle said...

Often times people say things without even thinking about it. What you say makes a lot of sense. I think it's because there are a lot of runners out there so you hear more about injuries related to running than from, say, whitewater rafting. If as many people skied as those who run, we'd hear a lot more about skiing injuries too.

simplypink said...

I think the next time you get the 'risk' speech, you should say...well, running is FAR less dangerous than when I was a bull-rider. ;)

Speeches from random people get under my skin. You are very right, there are risks associated with everything. We have to pick the risk we enjoy the most when it comes to sports.

havlow said...

Very well said! I often find injuries I've received from sports to be motivators to get BACK into sports.

Irene said...

AKA Alice,
I've been hearing it a lot, it wasn't just one person, which is what prompted this post. The Tiger Woods analogy is perfect.

Barbie2be,
Exactly my point!!! When we were kids, it was my sister who always had some sort of injury at home that required a trip to the ER.

Michelle,
It's like saying you won't move to California because you're afraid of earthquakes. I'm sure you've heard that one before. Injury happens with any sport.

Simply Pink,
I'm going to steal that bull rider comment! Tee hee!

Jeremy,
I still don't know what path running will take me yet, but I know running is in my future. I'm hoping that I have at least one more marathon in me.