Sunday, June 22, 2008

Heat Of The Moment

When you do not have air conditioning in your house, you get by with the jumbo sized box of sugar free Popsicles and oscillating fans, which is what I resorted to yesterday. Yes, it was the first day of summer, but it was on the very toasty side, even for my part of town, which is usually a good 10 degrees cooler than it is inland.

Once the sun went down, my husband invited a couple of friends over. One is my husband's high school buddy CM and the other is our friend Sam. CM is currently recovering from a nasty bicycle accident that resulted in several broken bones, including his back. (Yeah, we compared injury notes.) He has also dabbled in playing the drums throughout the years, and he even played with his band at our wedding (back in '82.) CM is now back to riding his bike and drumming again. Sam is also a musician. He is a self-taught guitar player, and can play the most beautiful Spanish ballads and sings. Our son took advantage of this situation and cleaned up the garage area where he keeps his drum kit and guitars... I don't know why I didn't take pictures because it was the cleanest I've ever seen it.

We had our own personal concert last night, plus fireworks from the not so distant Sea World, ice cold beers and barbecued steaks, etc. My son was just besides himself because it has been extremely hard for him to find someone who really knows how to play the drums. My son would begin playing a song and CM would add the drum beat. Sam also had a turn at the electric guitars, which took some getting used to (he normally plays acoustic guitars) and before long, Sam was singing and playing the lead of a Spanish ballad, my son was playing rhythm and ad libbing some rifts, and CM was keeping beat with his awesome drumming technique. I was in awe. This was one of those times where everything just fell into place, and we had one of the best evenings.

Sunday, today, is also warm, but not nearly as warm as it was yesterday. My in-laws wanted the family to meet for brunch at a place along the bay, to celebrate their 58th wedding anniversary. I'd like to say that it was great, but it was just OK. The point of the brunch was getting everyone together, which is hard to do. There were a few no shows, including my daughter who was scheduled to work. The scenery was lovely, as we were able to watch the sail boats go by as we dined.

In recoup news, I'm getting around better, but I still need the cane. The pain is lessening, but some days are better than others. Pain medications come in real handy. I'll be checking out morning pool hours this week and see if I can get myself swimming, somewhere.

Yesterday's song:
Saturday - Fall Out Boy - Run-DMZ

PEACE

Photo from Gibson.com

6 comments:

Flo said...

Wow!! I heard you guys were really getting hit with the heat! Hope it breaks soon. Sounds like a great night though.

Heat of the Moment - Asia
(I had to go to YouTube to play that song and my parrot apparently does not like Asia :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that evening sounded wonderful! How nice. I love it when you can have a night like that.

WOW. 58 years is a long time. How nice. Glad you were able to go and enjoy the scenery.

Still sending those well vibes your way. I'm glad to hear you are doing well.

Anne said...

I don't think the cooldown reached the inland areas because it still pushed pass 100 here yesterday. We have A/C though, so our only discomfort will come when the SDG&E bill arrives.

Sounds like you made the most of the weekend. Geez, your injury is going so differently. I wasn't allowed to swim because of the pressure it put on the hip. And already you're down to using just a cane. Hooray!

barbie2be said...

that is one of my favorite asia songs.

sounds like a great evening. I had dinner with NotSoccer Mom and her son on friday night. we went out because it was hotter than the hinges of hades here. But it was great to just sit down the three of us and talk over a meal.

Irene said...

Flo,
It was toasty! The weather was much nicer today. Winner! The band actually played that song at our wedding...

Evelyne,
It was a rare moment, on Saturday night. I really should have filmed it or at least taken a picture. My in-laws move slow, but they're still hanging in there!

Anne,
I hope it has cooled down for you by now. They said the surgery and the hardware would help speed up things a bit, although I'm feeling kind of slow, still... I guess it's all relative. I just need to practice patience.

Barbie2be,
That song brings back a flood of memories for me. I guess the entire state was an inferno! I hope it's better for you by now, too.

NotSoccer Mom said...

yes, it was pretty gosh darn hot last friday and saturday! today is only upper 70s but the air quality is VERY hazy and smoky, even though the nearest fire (currently) is hours away. darn wind.