Monday, May 08, 2006

It's my turn!

I've seen other peoples posts with a list of things you may or may not know about me, some are a list of 100, some are a list of 25... I think I'll stick with the list of 25.

1. I was the first born girl of my "generation" on my dad's side of the family. My brother was the first born boy/first born child. At that time, my folks thought for sure that I was going to be a boy, just because my dad's siblings were all boys. I was supposed to be named "Gregory James." They didn't have a girls name picked out, and I'm still not sure how my name was picked since I've heard conflicting stories...

2. I have an older brother age 50, and also younger sister, 41.

3. I spent 12 years in Catholic school... Years 1 though 8 were not wonderful -- The nuns were a bit intimidating. It wasn't until high school that I began to actually like school. I wanted SO BADLY to attend public school with my neighborhood friends.

4. I've lived in the Southern California area all of my life. In order: San Diego , Bonita, Upland, West Covina, and back to San Diego. I love it here.

5. I went to college intending to get my bachelors degree in Art. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I have my AA from a JC, then attended SDSU for a year, but I fell in love and college took a back seat.

6. I married Michael after 4 years of dating.

7. Our first child, Renee, was (basically) a honeymoon conceived baby... We were married in December, and found out we were preggers on Valentines Day. She was born in October. Four years later, Erik came along. When Renee was three, we barely started TALKING about having another baby, and were planning to do so "in about another year"... Surprise! I was already expecting!

8. I played the flute in high school band for about 3 1/2 years. I quit band in my Senior year.

9. I refuse to just sun-bathe at the beach. I have to be in the water swimming, boogie boarding or snorkeling, building a sand castle, or walking/running along the shore.

10. I can't really sing, but after a drink or two, it doesn't matter...

11. My dog, Logan, is the first dog I've ever had. She's a German Shepherd/Labrador retriever mix. I adopted her from the local humane society right after I quit a really bad job.

12. I lost 30 pounds over 6 years ago and have kept the majority of it off since then without the use of OTC diet drugs.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

13. I detest the taste of peas.

14. I am a grandma, but 2 1/2 year old Evan calls me "Mimi."

15. Countries outside the USA I've been to include Mexico (Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, Mazatlan, Cancun, Cozumel, Ochos Rios and other obscure small towns), Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Brazil.

16. My first job was working as a file clerk for the US Border Patrol.

17. I've needed corrective eye wear since the third grade. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting My first pair of glasses were plastic, pink horned rimmed glasses... Hey, I thought they were hot in the third grade!

18. I had Lasik in 1997 in Mexico because, at the time, that particular lasik machine was in the process of being approved by the FDA in the USA and not available yet. (It was on the "cutting edge" of technology -- Tee hee.) Since that time, Lasik has been improved several times over. I didn't wait because I worked for an optometrist and paid a very small fee for the procedure. Everything still works... I can still see.

19. I was a Girl Scout leader for one year.

20. Due to a car accident on the day my son graduated from elementary school AND my 39th birthday, I have 3 titanium screws and a loop of titanium wire in my left hand.

21. I understand a boat-load of Spanish but can only speak a few words of it. My mom's first language was Spanish, even though she wasn't Mexican. Long story...

22. My mother died at age 57 of colon cancer in 1986. I still miss her terribly.

23. I've never received a moving violation, but a few parking tickets because I was at a metered parking spot.

24. I've sold a particular brand of make-up for 11 years, but quit due to skin allergies to the "new and improved" formulas.

25. I absolutely love celebrating my birthday. It's on June 9th and I'll be 47! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I have no issues with age numbers what-so-ever. Bring it on!


Peace

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Mimi is so cool for a Grandma. I love it! My 18-month old nephew has been calling my Mom "Graggy" and no way is that going to stick if I can help it. Now, come on, you have to tell us what brand the makeup was!

I like this 25 things thing. I may have to give it a try.

Irene said...

Cheri,

Evan came up with "Mimi" all by himself. :) I'll take that! I've heard some really funny grandparent names that come from the grandkids. My nephew called his grandma on his dad's side "Darling" because that's what she calls everyone. It just stuck. My nephew is going to be 24 this year and he still calls her "Darling."

Kimberly said...

Darling so is cool, too. My Dad is now being called "Oompa" by the grandkids. I'm seriously going to have a problem if they end up being "Graggy" and "Oompa."

Makeup???

Irene said...

"Oompa "is so cute! LOL! I know what you mean about "Graggy." LOL... I know a grandma who goes by "G.G."

Oh yeah, makeup... I sold Mary Kay for 11 years. It's a great company and they really train their consultants well IF the consultants take advantge of it. I never got a car or anything like that, but I sold tons. Women love makeup. I did okay with their prior formulas, the new stuff made me break out, but so does dairy and oatmeal... Guess I'm just a sensative gal... I suppose I could have kept the "business" going but it's hard to not use the product you're selling.

~Irene

shpprgrl said...

I knew it was the pink stuff. They are always doing the new and improved thing. And it's not always good....shhhh.....I didn't say that....lol!

Irene said...

Shpprgrl,
IMHO, I don't really think there's one makeup out there that fulfills everone's needs. MK does have some decent products. Their sunscreen is pretty good, but I prefer other brands of mascara, another brand of fondation, etc... Once you know the skin care basics, you can get a pretty decent skin care regimine with stuff you find at the drug store or even in your kitchen for cheap. My favorite thing is using baking soda for a facial and body scrub twice a week, and that has to be the cheapest thing around!