Monday, May 26, 2008

Work In Progress


I had a chance to sit in my sunny backyard and actually read an entire magazine article without drifting off to sleep! Woohoo! Progress! My next feat is to read an entire chapter of a book my boss brought to me while I was in the hospital. I also made an attempt at using a cane today. The walker is cumbersome, but it does offer support when I am super tired. I did OK with the cane and I hope I can slowly ditch the walker. Besides, the cane belonged to my grandfather. It's a bamboo cane and has a lot of character, and is way more cool than the walker.

On Saturday, there was an article in the San Diego Union-Tribune about a mime class at Grossmont College. It turns out my daughter is in that class and was quoted for the article. She didn't say anything thought provoking, but she had her 2 cents in the local paper. Her quote was "Mime is a lot of hard work." My daughter is a dance education major, and this past year she has ventured into different territory such as costume design and mime class to fill in the gaps of credits she needs.

Yesterday's song:
Rest Stop - Matchbox Twenty

PEACE

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you were able to enjoy a whole article today without falling asleep! YAY! I have a cane from my Dad. It's just a plain cane, but it being from my Dad, it has meaning to it. I'm sure you look way cooler with that bamboo cane than with the walker.

What a nice article. It sounds like that Mime class is harder than what I would imagine. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

Christie said...

Hey Irene...
Wow, just got semi caught up with you, and sure am glad you are healing...poor girl. I think about you alot whenever I think I am going to be a good girl and run (bought some new balance running shoes the other day...so see, I'm getting serious...haha) or whenever I think about beautiful Sunny San Diego...I love reading your posts, cause I actually know where some of the stuff you talk about is...like Grossmont college. Good for your daughter in branching out, that is awesome! Hope you are back at it soon...and who says cats have no loyalty???
Hugs
Christie

Pamela said...

Sounds like things are still cruising along in your world ..it's always amazing to see your fab attitude about everything.. you really epitomize the whole idea of PMA !! :)

barbie2be said...

yay for you! graduating to a cane is awesome progress.

i was pissed off that i couldn't even go out for a walk this weekend. the smoke from our fire has the air so clogged with particles that i started wheezing after only 3 houses and had to turn back. :(

mary j?

Michelle said...

So glad things are progressing for you. That cane sounds cool. Maybe we'll get a picture of it some day? I'm reading "Fast Food Nation" right now and it's scaring the crap out of me! Hope you are enjoying your book.

NotSoccer Mom said...

i agree with pamela--your positive attitude HAS to have something to do with your fast healing! glad to hear you're doing so well so quickly.

KatieFeldmom said...

What book are you planning on reading?

Irene said...

Evelyne,
I feel like such a dork with the walker! The cane is much lighter!

Christie,
Good to see you back again! Does this mean you'll be back to blogging or posting again??? You have been missed. Thanks for the well wishes!!

Pamela,
I spent my teen years being down about everything. I don't need that. This injury is just a little bump in my road of life. PMA!

Barbie2be,
Ugh. The smoke must be awful. Winner!!!

Michelle,
The cane is simple, but it's pretty cool, and stronger than it looks.

NSM,
I'm trying!!! No use in a pity party. It's all about moving on.

Katie,
The book is Sidney Sheldon's The Sky Is Falling.

Anne said...

That's so cool! Both you and Renee must be so proud. Evan too. I love the flower shot.

Irene said...

Anne,
Thanks. :)