Tuesday, May 06, 2008

How Deep It Goes

I went to ugent care last night since all the day appointments were taken. I actually ended up with a very nice doc who took the time to listen to my concerns. My issues are muscular, not bone. He prescribed me a week's worth of a somewhat agressive prednisone treatment to help with the healing process and adjusted my asthma meds. While I'm on the pred, he suggested no analgesics, but to use ice instead and gave me an Rx for vicodin, along with a heating pad if I need it at night.

It looks like my 4:45/sub 5 hour marathon is not going to happen this time, that's if I'm able to particpate at all. If it comes to a DNS I'm OK with it. If that's the case, I'll volunteer at the track club tent at mile 23 or something. Michael is still good to go and there's no reason why he can't go. Heh, if I participate we might finish together, which we've never done before... I ususally have about an hour lead on him. There will be other marathons this year and the bulk of the big events are in the fall, such as the Chicago Marathon or the California International Marathon. As of right now I'm planning to participate on June 1, however I'm not going to kill myself trying. Right now the workouts are all about yoga and stretching per the doctor's suggestions. Cardio for the next two weeks is out, even swimming. I really need to be careful with my nutrition right now. I got used to all that carb loading, and now I have to back off. Nutrition shouldn't be too hard, though, as long as I track it on fitday.

A friend of mine asked me if I was upset getting injured with only a few weeks left to the marathon, and I said I actually was not upset. ( I was upset about not being selected for the Nike HM.) I really am OK with not running in it, if it comes down to that. If I do run in it, I'm OK with chucking my 4:45 goal and bring a camera to take pictures along the way -- turn it into a different day for myself -- make it more of a photo-journailism thing instead of a personal record thing. You know, the whole "when life gives you lemons" thing. As Tom (Tom's New Ballpark) always says "PMA." (Positive Mental Attitude.)

Yesterday's song:
The Nurse - White Stripes - Barbie2be

PEACE

4 comments:

leslie said...

Irene, I'm sorry that this is happening, but I love your attitude. You and I are in this fitness/running thing for a lifetime, and one marathon will not make or break that.

Sending healing thoughts your way.

Final thought: in an ideal world, stuff like this would happen to couch potatoes, not people like us who actually WANT to move!

Michelle said...

I'm really glad it's not anything really serious. But it bites that it might derail your marathon plans. Good thing it's early in the season and you have more choices lined up ahead of you.

Keep taking good care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

So so sorry you are injured. Sending ~~~healing vibes~~~ your way! Take care, rest and get better soon!

Irene said...

Leslie,
What else is there to do? No use getting sad about it. Michael is still running, so are many of my new friends from the track club. I need to cheer them on, whether if I run slow that day or take a DNS. Thanks for the encouragement. I do need it. :)

Michelle,
It sort of bites but this happens to elite athlets, too. There will be other races. Thanks for your on-going support! :)

Evelyne,
Oh, I need those healing vibes!!! Thanks!!!