Monday, April 02, 2007

Unchained Melody

Full on upper body workout & abs for today - Modified BFL. Asthma was a factor in doing floor crunches. Switched to using the Bowflex with the incline bench and was able to complete my abs exercises that way.

Plans For April:
I'm planning on running in the La Jolla Shores 5k, which is a part of the La Jolla Half Marathon event. The half marathon is hill heavy and there is NO WAY that I'm ready for that. I can barely make it up one steep hill in my own neighborhood. There's a 3 hour time limit for the half marathon, and I don't doubt that I can do it well under 3 hours, but it's the hills on this course that are daunting.

I'm also taking this time to re-evaluate my nutrition. I haven't been as careful as I should be and it shows. I know what I need to do, I just need to do it. Duh.

Other News:
I've just found out that a friend of mine, who was considered to be in the "morbidly obese" category, had gastric bypass surgery last year, the day ater we met with other friends for lunch. I don't know what size she was or what her weight was, but she's now down to a size 3. She had always been on the chubby side back in high school, but the weight really came on after kids. She admits to the crummy food she was eating and knows that she has to really pay attention to her nutrition and exercise to keep her new body. The "slap in the face" realization that she needed to do something was her doctor's visit and being borderline diabetic, hypertention, and other weight related issues. Both of her parents died in their 50's due to weight related health issues. In her case, it definetly was a matter of nurture over nature. She grew up with bad eating habits. I haven't seen her yet but we're attempting to get together soon.

AND FINALLY...
Here's the list o'winners for March's "Name That Artist, Band, Group, etc..." Thanks for playing along!

3/29/07 Rockin' On Top Of The World - Aerosmith - Barbie2bePhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


3/28/07 Read My Mind - Reba, The Killers - KatiefeldmomPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket, Barbie2bePhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/27/07 Gone Country - Allan Jackson - ShopperPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/26/07 Dust In The Wind - Kansas - Barbie2bePhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/23/07 Independent Women - Destiny's Child - Barbie2bePhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/22/07 Peaceful Easy Feeling - Eagles - KatiefeldmomPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/21/07 Everyday I Write The Book - Elvis Costello

3/20/07 Teacher, Teacher - Rockpile

3/19/07 Breakfast In America - Supertramp - KatiefeldmomPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/18/07 Miles Ahead - Miles Davis

3/16/07 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC - ShopperPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/14/07 Crosstown Traffic - Jimmi Hendrix - Barbie2bePhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/12/07 Fax Me A Beer - Hank Williams Jr. - Katie Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/10/07 Road Runner - Aerosmith

3/7/07 Beautiful - Christina Aguilera - Barbie2bePhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/5/07 American Tune - Paul Simon - PamelaPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/4/07 Dreamboat Annie - Heart - Run-DMZPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3/1/07 Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino - PamelaPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


PEACE
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

barbie2be said...

the rightous brothers.

good for your friend for taking her health seriously. i also had weightloss surgery after getting up to 407 lbs. i am down almost 200 lbs and have never felt better. it literally saved my life.

Anonymous said...

Wow, a size 3? That's amazing!

I'm with ya sista on the "I know what to do I just have to do it". Get on it doggone it!

Wow, can't wait to hear more about this La Jolla Shores 5k you will be running.

Great job on your workout!

chantal2bfit said...

Good luck on your 5K! Can't wait to hear more about it!

Irene said...

Barbie2be,
Right with the Righteous Brothers! Wow, that's amazing about your procedure. I think it's even more amazing with everything you've been able to do since then, like the tri. It definetly has saved your life!

Evelyne,
More than the size 3, she says she feels like a kid again. She didn't want to see the same fate as her parents. The La Jolla Shores 5k will be a computer chipped (timed) event, so my times will be more accurate. I know I won't PR because I've slowed down for marathon training, but it will be fun and my hubbie wants to run in it, too.

Chantal,
I've just registered, so we're all set for April 22! It will be fun!