Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Living In The Past

Gym workout today. It wasn't pretty but I did it. I did light weights, high reps for my UBW. I attempted the treadmill, but the one I happened to use kept shutting off. I think I only got in a full mile. I was trying to do speed intervals, but when I attempted to go faster, the machine would slow down or shut off.

April marks the anniversary of when I decided to take control of my well being and get fit through exercise and proper nutrition, and not go on a "diet."

It has been about 7 years since I've decided to live a healthier lifestyle. This first photo, with my brother, was taken on Father's Day -- about a couple of weeks after my 39th birthday and being in a car accident. This was THE photo that made me realize I should do something before I let my weight and health get out of control.

This next photo was taken a few months later, sans cast, while on vacation at Fallen Leaf Lake, near Lake Tahoe, CA. Those shorts I'm sporting in the photo were a size 10, and I was barely squeezing into those. My weight was topping off at 150+, and I'm only 5'3"... It wasn't THAT bad (in my mind) but prior to weighing in at 150+ pounds and squeezing into a too small size 10, I was wearing a size 6, even after having 2 kids. How did this happen to me? How did I get a fat gut, butt, and back fat????? For me, this was another photo showing me that I needed to do something, even though my dear husband said both photos weren't that bad... I knew otherwise. I was loosing control of my weight and only I had the power to do something about it.

I became fit the old fashioned way, through exercise and proper nutrition. There was no magic pill or special diet. As I had mentioned in the past, I had followed Body For Life. I did hook up with a personal trainer with my gym membership, but it was up to me to do the work. It took me a good nine months to lose 30 pounds. I had gained muscle, felt more healthy and energetic than ever, and fit comfortably into a size 2. I had never EVER been a size 2 before. I'll never forget being in the dressing room trying on size 2 pants for the first time. I was so used to my fat ass barely getting into a 10, and now I was sliding into a 2. Only stick figures wore a 2. I wasn't a stick since I was now carrying arond some lean muscle mass, and I weighed more than I had in the past, before kids. I had to keep rechecking the label to make sure I wasn't halucinating. I think I did my own little happy dance in the dressing room.


The running thing evolved out of being more fit. I never did team sports as a kid or in high school. I did enjoy swimming, but the running grew on me. It was something that I could do on my own, and I eventually began to run in events, and my hubbie began to run with me.



7 years later and I'm still sticking with a healthier lifestyle. It doesn't mean that I won't splurge from time to time, or that my weight won't go up and down, or that I expect everyone else to jump on board with me. It's not like that. I love chocolate cake/candy and an occasional martini, I can gain and lose up to 10 pounds in one week when carb loading for a run, and if someone wants to run or exercise with me it's great ~ but if not, it's okay.

PEACE
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

11 comments:

KatieFeldmom said...

Two words: YOU ROCK!!!!!!
Thanks for posting this!!

"but it was up to me to do the work"
So true. So true. And I'm just now getting it.

leslie said...

No words. Just can't find 'em.
As one of the lucky ones who has met you in person, I can say you "after" picture isn't nearly as pretty as you are in person, although it's a good picture. As for your "before's" -- doesn't even look like the same person!!!
Wow!

barbie2be said...

jethro tull?

isn't it funny how we never even realize what we look like until we see a picture of ourselves?

after i had my surgery and started losing weight i looked as some old pictures and asked Not Soccer Mom why no one had told me i was that huge...

Anonymous said...

I barely recognize you in your before photos. What a fabulous long term success story. :)

chantal2bfit said...

Happy Anniversary! 7 years living the healthy lifestyle is quite an accomplishment! You're an inspiration!

Dori said...

You give me hope! My wake-up call was getting a passport picture taken in 1998. I'm about your height and weighed over 150 pounds. I blamed the fat face on the photographer, thinking she just got me at a bad angle! Talk about denial.

I'm working on getting down to a size 6, but my secret desire is to be a size 4; I can't even imagine being a 2. Good for you! How do you stay motivated? And what is your workout schedule?

Anonymous said...

This was such an inspirational story! Thanks so much for posting it and like everyone said you are barely recognizable in your before pics. Just beautiful!

Donna said...

Great job! Nice to have those pictures to look at and see the before. You've done an awesome job and come so far. You're such an inspiration.

Anne said...

Have I mentioned what an inspiration you are to those of us still battling the bulge.

Pamela said...

Yep yep...& yep to all the things already said...yea that's what I get for being 10th in line! ~lol~
YOu ARE a real inspiration.. to be honest ..I wouldn't have picked those pics as even BEING you~!
again...Happy 7th!

Irene said...

Thanks so much everyone!