Wednesday, July 09, 2008

What Is Hip?

Today was my first physical therapy session. My physical therapist, R , called my name in the waiting room, and as I got up to walk toward her, she kept looking around. Apparently, she was expecting to see someone much less mobile. She was impressed with my progress thus far. Today was more of a Q and A session, and I had to go over my story once again, since the bare bones (no pun intended) are in the chart with preliminary information provided to R -- only that I had surgery on my femoral neck/head (in the hip). She did a few stretching tests, and I'm pretty flexible, considering everything. There's just a one area I really need to work on. I have a hard time crossing my right leg over my left leg. She gave me some stretching exercises as homework and told me to continue what I'm already doing, which is the high weights/low reps weight exercises, walking, and swimming. She did want me to continue to keep using my cane, just so I don't throw off my other hip. I see R again next week.

I've made a nice little discovery at our local grocery store. Garlic olives. I know that olives are one of those things that you either can't stand or really like. I've seen many people pick off the olives from their deli sandwiches or slices of pizza. I like olives, but they're not something I usually seek out. Black or green, they're usually a garnish or after thought to a salad, pizza or sandwich, or the green ones with the little red pimentos in the middle just for martinis. While I was waiting for my husband to order a deli sandwich, I happened to stroll near the exotic cheeses and the salad bar section. The sign for garlic olives just stood out to me, so I just had to purchase a container full. I didn't even test them. Once I brought them home and was able to eat a few, I was pleasantly surprised. I couldn't just sit there and eat a whole 16 ounce container full, but a few at a time are great.

On my honor, I promise to brush my teeth, use mouthwash and/or eat a stick of minty fresh, breath freshening gum after I eat my garlic olives.

Yesterday's song :
Yes, We Have No Bananas - Spike Jones and His City Slickers - Barbie2be

PEACE

5 comments:

leslie said...

Tower of Power?

YUM-o on garlic olives!

Michelle said...

Of course I don't mind if you don't brush after eating the olives. Then again, I don't live with you. Or even near you.

It sounds like you got good feedback from R. Great! Just keep plowing through this marathon of recovery.

Anonymous said...

So glad that you are healing nicely. I know it's because you've had such a great attitude all along and are working hard at it.

Those garlic olives sound wonderful! I'm not sure if they'd be Tony approved though. They are pretty high in fat, right? FREE MEAL!!

barbie2be said...

those garlic olives are one of my most favorite things on earth! yum-o! and thanks to the gods at the whole foods olive bar for always stocking them! yay! of course, pretty much ANY olives are a-ok with me. i love me some olives. the fat in olives has been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels. also the anti-inflammatory actions of the monounsaturated fats, vitamin e and polyphenols can help reduce the severity of asthma, osteoarthrits, and RA. the vitamin e may even help reduce the intensity of hot flashes in menopausal women. So there! eat your olives!!!

Irene said...

Leslie,
Winner! The olives were great! ;)

Michelle,
I just don't want to share all that garlic-y goodness through my breath... I can only judge by how I'm doing, since I have no one else to look to who is my age and had the surgery, but it did feel good that she thought I was doing that well.

Evelyne,
A good attitude really does help with everything! It makes the process of healing less cumbersome!
Olive have the good fats in them.

Barbie2be,
They are so good! The garlic olives were a great find! Thanks for answering Evelyne's question. :)