Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fashion


I'm a Project Runway geek. On Bluefly.com they're featuring last season's winner Christian Siriano's new collection. I thought I'd take a peek. I would LOVE to own the jacket pictured above. (I tried to get a close-up of it, but it didn't work -- computer issues.) Just for fun I checked if there was availability in my size. Bluefly.com had it retailed for $600.00, but "discounted" it, but not by much. It's still pricey. While I copied the above picture and posted it to my blog, the jacket sold out. I would never buy a singular jacket for that much money. I just can't afford to buy one piece of clothing for that much money. I can't justify it. I can see spending that much on a high quality purse that I would use for years, but not for a blazer that I'd probably wear a few times. Now I have a new project in mind, and that's to duplicate the jacket as closely as possible, and you can be sure it's not going to cost me as much as the one above. Heck, I have made a pirate coat, a prom dress, American Girl doll clothes,
and other clothes and items for the house, then I can certainly make myself a blazer. Sure, it will be labor intensive, but it's not totally impossible. This all remains to be seen, though. I have a running skirt pattern that I have yet to figure out and a serger that I've yet to use. Yeah. I'm getting ahead of myself. The words "what am I getting myself into" are going through my head, too. A part of sewing is sitting, and for a while it was difficult to sit for a long period of time. Now that I'm past that, I supppose I have no more legitimate excuses and I should get myself in gear and sew SOMETHING. Hold me to it. OK?

July is just about over, which means my daily babbling about food is almost up, too. I thought I was going to do more with the food thing but the food topics just didn't carry me like I thought they would. I had lost momentum, especially when dealing with a few of the medications I was taking.

Speaking about food...
I know I've mentioned before, but peas have to be my least favorite food. I can't think of any food I dislike more. The intense dislike of peas happened sometimes in childhood. There was no trauma associated with peas. Peas just smelled and tasted awful to me, and bring about that gag reflex. Blech. I must point out that I'm OK with snow peas and raw peas right out of the pod. It's cooked peas that are just so wrong to me, and canned peas have to be the worst. I've tried a lot of exotic foods that many people wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, so I'm open to try new things -- meaning, I'm not a picky eater. I might eat cooked peas if I was paid to eat them, just like when they make contestants eat bugs on Fear Factor, but there's no guarantee the peas would stay down.



Yesterday's song:

No More Drama - Mary J. Blige - Katiefeldmom

PEACE

Photos from Bluefly.com, American Girl, Wikipedia.org, and me.

6 comments:

barbie2be said...

bowie?

love the jacket, but like you $600? ouch!

i love peas. my ex moved to CA from MI and he would only eat canned peas. just the thought of canned peas makes me want to gag.

wendy said...

looks like it came right off of posh herself. ;-)

If you found a way to make that jacket, I'm sending you my measurements, and I think you could get a nice little business going for yourself!

yuck - peas...there are few greens that I actually like, and peas are definitely NOT on the list.

Aka Alice said...

Wow...you can sew a jacket? I can hem things (mostly)...but I usually send it out.

KatieFeldmom said...

$600??? Holy cow.
I love peas.

NotSoccer Mom said...

i'm so with you, irene, on peas!!! i feel exactly the same way. but i know it stems from my parents making us eat canned peas when we were little. i used to put mine in my napkin then flush them down the toilet. YUCK.

Irene said...

Barbie2be,
Winner! I realize designer anything is going to be pricey, but I just can't afford to go there. Ewww... Canned peas.

Wendy,
His clothes look great on models, of course! There's no way I'd ever get into a pair of those pants, though. The jacket I can deal with. ;)

AKA Alice,
Long story, but my mom sewed just about everything when we were kids, and she was a perfectionist. I don't know if I can sew as well as she did, but I know I can assemble a pattern. Making it fit right on me remains to be seen. ;)

Katie,
Yeah, I know!!!!

NSM,
I've done that too!