Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Deck The Halls

Deck the halls with avocados!
Fa la la la la,
la la la la!

Yeah, it's a little bit too early for holiday songs, unless you're advertising on TV.

Yesterday, while spending a little time outside with the dog, she retrieved some avocados that had fallen off the tree(s) and brought them to me ~ well, sort of. She dropped them several feet from where I was standing. This was a first for her, bringing me avocados, but I really shouldn't be too surprised. She is part lab retriever. It sure beats the pinecones she used to bring in from the neighbor's tree at our prior neighborhood, which left a dusty, prickly mess on the floor. The avocados aren't even close to being picked off the trees yet, so they're a bit like rocks. The avocados still need about another month or so on the trees before they're ready to harvest. I'm not sure if the dog actually likes avocados as far as food goes. I'm more inclined to think she's just playing around, as if they were one of her tennis balls.

Today
Activity: Run
Date: 11/06/07 09:18 AM
Distance: 3.18 miles
Time: 0:31:20
Speed: 6.1 mph
Pace: 9' 51 min/mile
Calories: 302


Today's run was my first run in 6 days. If I had planned it out better, such as taking my water belt, I could have put in more miles. I wasn't sure what to expect since I'm still dealing with a cold. The first mile was hard, but once I got warmed up and found my "groove," it wasn't so bad, and I was thinking I could do more than just 3, but I was needing water. I ran up and down some hills, but not anything treacherous.

Peace

3 comments:

barbie2be said...

Mmmmm... avocados! i wish Moo would drop avocados at my feet.

Dori said...

I heard that the majority of California avocados are grown in San Diego county and that many of the trees were scorched. Avo's may be a little scarcer this year. You're lucky you have your own tree.

Good job on your running. You're probably better off just resting your body to get over your cold. I had a nice 5 mile run on Sunday, but haven't ventured out since. Maybe tomorrow.

Does "Deck the Halls" even have an author? I thought it just fell under "Traditional."

Irene said...

Barbie2be - It sure beats dead rodents!

Dori - If our trees were commercial, they wouldn't be acceptable because they're smaller than normal and some of the fruit shows damage. It's kind of weird because we have 3 avocado trees and only one has decent fruit. OK, I'll give it to you! Winner!