Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Beverly Hills

Last night we attended yet another guitar recital, small kids to adults. It seems that at each recital there's one song that gets played over and over. Last time it was Metallica's "Sandman." This year it was Weezer's "Beverly Hills." One of the highlights (besides my son, of course) was a kid that couldn't of been more than 6 years old. He played Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water." It was great... Erik played the Guns N' Roses version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." I guess you know you're playing a song right when the adults in the audience start singing along.... The only problem Erik had was the ending. His teacher was supposed to change an amp setting and forgot to, so he sort of faked it and ended it... Oh well. I'm very proud of him. I took pictures but they looked exactly the same as his last recital, from November of last year...

Reality Check:
I realize it's going to take a little time to build back up again. My UBW yesterday was lack luster... Perhaps I'm all partied out...

Things that went right:
*Yesterday I did a UBW, however modified. It WAS movement...
*I did more heavy duty gardening...
*Put another coat of varathane on the floor.
*Met with another painting contractor.
*My son's guitar recital

Things that need improvement:
*I realize I need to kick my workouts into full gear.
*Get the 4 bags of bark out of the trunk of my car.
*Distribute the bark under the roses in the front yard of the "new" old house.

Peace
Roll

4 comments:

FV Tom said...

Good to hear about the recital. I'm just glad that the "old" music isn't being forgotten. A 6 year old playing Jimi?!?! How cool.

Good job getting your workout done.

Donna said...

My 9 year old has been taking guitar for a little over a year now. She just switched from acoustic to electric. She really likes taking the lessons but I have such a hard time getting her to practice on her own. She'd get so much better if she did.

I did 7.25 miles on the treadmill yesterday, all at an incline to simulate outdoors. My leg was so so. I can't really tell what's wrong with it. It doesn't feel like a muscle pull. At times it just feels like it's going to give out and then it's fine again. It hurt this morning and I've been taking Advil to relieve the pain. Once I'm on it for a while it seems to get better. I haven't decided what I'm doing for cardio yet today.

shpprgrl said...

I've never been to a guitar recital. Just piano. I think I would enjoy that. I always like your what went right/what needs improvement lists. What a neat idea!

Irene said...

Tom,
There's nothing wrong with "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" but it was nice to hear a wide variety of music. Kids and adults... It always amazes me.

Donna,
My son took guitar when he was about 10 years old but it didn't stick so he quit. He picked it back up about 3 years ago and has gone gang-busters with it. Good job with the running. I hope your leg doesn't cause you too many problems. I know what it's like to run and be hurting... Be careful when you take the Advil. Take it after you run, not before.

Shpprgrl,
I've been to violin recitals for my daughter, but they usually did it by level, so we heard "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" over and over again. I think it's the guitar teacher who leads his students to play what they enjoy, instead of being stuck to a particular method or book, and it makes for a great recital... I've been using the "list" for about a year now. it kind of helps me put into perspective what I need to do, and it keeps me honest, as far as working out...


Peace