Saturday, April 12, 2008

Weird Science

Activity: Run
Date: 04/12/08 06:50 AM
Distance: 38.62 miles
Time: 2:56:12
Speed: 13.2 mph
Pace: 4' 33 min/mile
Calories: 1542

Take a look at the above stats. Not even in my wildest dreams can I run THAT fast, and I've never gone THAT far in one running day. The time is correct and the calories burned is probably close to correct, but everything else was thrown off by GPS bouncing. I probably ran somewhere between 15 and 16 miles with an average minute/mile pace of around 10:30 to 11:00. I sent an e-mail to the my contact over at Bones in Motion, so I hope he's able to edit my run without me having to enter everything manually.

That huge, purple triangle should not be there. I'm guessing the GPS transmission bounced because we ran past a TV station van with it's own GPS antennas up, on the way up the coast and on the way back. (I'm sure they were reporting on the unseasonably wonderful weather we've had today.) Another speculation is that we ran under the flight path for NAS Miramar. There's also UCSD and several other well known buildings in the area, which could have contributed to the bouncing. I've had some minor GPS bouncing before, but it would be just within the street I would be running on, and it would never really add to the mileage.

Back to the run...
We actually ran on the beach. I'm not fond of running right on the beach -- something about the sand sifting into my shoes through the mesh fabric, we're running at an angle, and we had to slow to walk over a stretch of boulders and rocks, BUT it was absolutely gorgeous. I hope someone took a picture of the beach this morning so I can post it here later. I also met a couple of runners I hadn't met before, and that's always a treat. This run was also hilly. You know the hill in my neighborhood I always discuss? By comparison it's nothing compared to the hill we had to tackle today, while going up hill at Torry Pines State Park. Yikes. I walked up it, and so did the majority of our group. As I had mentioned before, it was warm out. Thank goodness we finished our run at La Jolla Shoes, and several of us took off our shoes and went in the (cold) ocean water to cool off and recoup. Ahhhhhhhh...

Yesterday's song:
Roll With It - Steve Winwood

PEACE

***THIS JUST IN***

Per my contact at BiM, I was able to fine tune the GPS on my own, without having to manually enter the route, and now the stats look right:

Activity: Run
Date: 04/12/08 06:50 AM
Distance: 15.38 miles
Time: 2:46:48
Speed: 5.5 mph
Pace: 10' 51 min/mile
Calories: 1466



Hooray!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Well no wonder you looked so flushed when I saw you -- you'd gone far and above what was expected of you (he he).

Oingo Boingo!!!!

barbie2be said...

what a great run! and an awesome was to reward yourself at the end.

i'm so jealous. i just sent 15 people from my company down to SD for the AARC conference. they get 5 days to enjoy being right in the marina and i get to be stuck doing homework. :( at least i have my standing walking date tomorrow.

Irene said...

Anne,
Ha ha! Winner!!!

Barbie2be,
It's going on 9 pm right now and it's a balmy 78 degrees. I'm not sure how long this wamrth is going to last but I sure am enjoying it!