Sunday, April 27, 2008

Reach For Tomorrow

Photo from SDTC - Run on 4-26-08, near Sunset Cliffs.

I was looking back at last year's run stats, and I've become faster, even though I feel I'm going at a snail's pace at times. I'm thinking that running with the track club has given me that extra push to be just a little faster. Since I'm running with other people who are so phenominal in their running abilities, I feel slow, but I've made improvements just by being around these people. I know I can't compare myself to others, but I have gained great perspective. Yesterday I ran at talking pace with a lady who is going to be the 4:30 pace person for the marathon, and I could have easily stayed with her if I had decided to run the 20 mile route. I never felt uncomfortable running at her pace. Of course, most of my wall hitting happens towards the end of the marathon -- last year it was around mile 22, so I am planning some buffer time just in case that should happen. Last year, about this same time, I pretty much predicted that my marathon time would be around 5:02, and that's exactly what it was, even though I was hoping for better. Right now I actually do see a 4:45 to 4:50 marathon, and that's including that extra time buffer. The plan for the next month is staying healthy, watch my nutrition, remain injury free, and run conservatively.

I'll be attending a Team In Traning meeting tomorrow evening. One of my coworkers wants me to at least check it out before I decide to go or not to go for the Nike Women's Half Marathon in October of this year. Her husband is just now in remission from lymphoma and she's running for him. I have mixed feelings about TNT in general, but I shouldn't judge it until I get the facts. I'll post about why I have mixed feeling in another post. I just want to get the info first. I want to see if it's the right route for me.

Yesterday's song:
Runnin' Away - Sly & the Family Stone

PEACE

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Improvements are great, aren't they? I'm so glad that you've improved since joining the track club AND that you are enjoying it.

Will be waiting to hear what your mixed emotions are...

leslie said...

I have mixed feelings about TNT as well. Curious to hear yours...

When I run with Tim, I get faster because he pushes me. Glad the track club does that for you. I think the marathon is going to go GREAT!

Michelle said...

I'm also curious and I'm also going to a TNT meeting related to the Nike. Please share when you have time.

I always love your pictures. It's too bad the marathon and B2B are always back to back. Maybe some year our paths will cross at the Nike or some other event.

KatieFeldmom said...

Ick on the toe thing -- I did NOT know that could happen. Hmmmmmmm.

Fingers crossed for the TNT thing.

YAY, big YAY, for improvements. You rock!!!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Ah yes, mile 22. Not my fav mile either...lol.

E-Speed said...

interested in your take away thoughts after the tnt meeting. Glad you are feeling faster this year than last. Hope the training keeps going well!

FV Tom said...

Hi there. I'm still around, just nothing to report.

That was terrible about the shark ... how do we know?

Pics of the new GB and the twins coming in the next few days.

be good!

Irene said...

Evelyne,
Thanks so much! I really enjoy being with the track club!

Leslie,
The race ettiquite thing, like trying to pass, fundrasing is the big one, though. It does help to have someone push you along. For me it's being with others who actually train for Boston!

Michelle,
My brother always goes to B2B, but he's a hard core runner and it's all about speed. If I ever do B2B it's going to be all about fun. It's just too close to the marathon for me to consider right now.

Kaite,
It's common, plus techicolored toenails, black toenails, all kinds of blisters, etc! It sort of goes with the territory.

Dawn,
What I want to know is who puts that wall up at mile 22, and can they take it down??? LOL.

Elizabeth,
Thanks! Slowly but surely.

Tom,
Thanks for stopping by! Several blends sort of fell off the face of the earth for a while. I'm glad you're back! I'm looking forward to those pics!