Monday, April 21, 2008

Redemption Song

Activity: Run
Date: 04/21/08 09:58 AM
Distance: 17.00 miles
Time: 3:05:59
Speed: 5.5 mph
Pace: 10' 56 min/mile
Calories: 1612


I redeemed myself and ran 17 miles along the bay today. The advantage to running along the bay are the restrooms and water fountains along the way. I would have been toast without those water fountains. I needed more than my four water bottles contained, plus I needed an extra Gu. It's amazing how those things work. I was on the return part of my out and back run, around mile 13 and my left calf started to cramp up. I took a Gu and I was back in business. That pesky quad muscle didn't bother me so much today, but it did take until mile 4 to feel really good on it. Temperatures today were in the low 60s, with a cool bay breeze, and that made for a nice run, especially on the return, when I needed that little nudge to finish strong.

Yesterday I had a major cake craving. I usually don't crave cake, but since my boss put out these little bottles with vanilla scented oil and diffuser sticks, I've been craving cake. The scent in the office is of fresh baked vanilla cake. I actually prefer chocolate cake, but that warm vanilla scent just got to me. I made vanilla cupcakes with butter cream frosting for dessert last night. After a couple of cupcakes (OK, it was several) my craving was squelched. I guess I can chalk it up to come carb loading. Come to think of it, my run was decent today, so maybe those vanilla cupcakes helped.

A big shout out to blogger buddy Elizabeth (Run With Me) who ran in the Boston Marathon today. She even had a PR. I'm completely in awe.

Yesterday's song:
Your Mama Don't Dance - Loggins & Messina - Be A Good One

PEACE

8 comments:

Miss Rachel said...

Those cupcakes sound luscious. (I'm a chocolate freak, but I love vanilla cake with vanilla frosting.) I bet you burned those calories right off!

The song - Bob Marley and the Wailers.

leslie said...

Hooray for yummy carbs that help to fuel long runs!

IronWaddler said...

Cupcakes are definite carbs and good tasting fuel.

Nice run!

Anne said...

I'm just catching up and I see you also watched a daughter's dance performance this weekend. Glad Gu works so well for you when it comes to cramping. It just gives me a tummy ache.

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.

Michelle said...

That vanilla smell would break me too! Except I don't burn as many calories as you so I'd have to flush them :)

The Gu reminds me. The other day in my blog I said I ate an AccelGel and you asked about eating them in a non-workout situation. What I've been doing is eating them anywhere from 20 to 0 minutes before my workout. It seems to give me a great boost during my workouts. Do you think eating them before my workout makes them less effective? I'm usually at the gym 2 hours. Maybe I should eat them after the first hour?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very good run for you. MMmmmmm I would LOVE some of those cupcakes. Got any left?

barbie2be said...

vanilla is one of my most favorite scents. i can see how that would drive you crazy.

what a great run. my car has been out of commission since last monday so i am getting in WAY more walking than normal. i guess that's a good thing since i plan to walk the nike half. but i need to figure out how to keep it up after i get my car back.

Irene said...

Miss Rachel,
Winner!!! Those cupcakes hit the spot!


Leslie,
Who knew? ;)

Waddler26,2,
It definintely squelched the craving. I'm glad the carbs helped with my run the next day. :)

Anne,
'Tis the time of year for dance concerts! The Gu's only work for me, tummy wise, if I have only Gu and water, nothing else. Throw an electrolye drink into the mix and the tummy issues happen.

Evelyne,
My (adult) kids still live at home, so those cupcakes were inhaled!!! LOL.

Barbie2be,
The scent at work didn't flood my senses yesterday, so I guess the cupcakes helped!!! Nice job going car-less. At least you're with in walking distance of your job.