Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Waiting In The Weeds

PROGRESS REPORT. Sort of.

I set foot in Trader Joe's. I was guarding my foot so no one would step on it or ride over it with their carts, but TJ's has dinky little shopping carts and most of their wares and food items aren't that heavy, and there was nothing to worry about. I did go sans ortho-boot so I could wear my new orthotics. Sure, this really isn't earth shattering news, but I haven't really gone to the store since the Costco incident. I did go to Target once, but with that ortho-boot, and my ankle hurt something fierce afterward, and it's not my ankle that was injured. This time was rather uneventful, other than the timing, which was when hoards of college and high school students began to take their lunch breaks.

My skin IS breaking out in a itchy rash around the nape of my neck and around my left collar bone. I can't figure this one out, so it's back to selective food elimination. I can't think of what's causing the itchiness, since I haven't tried anything new with food, soaps, lotions, etc., or have done anything differently, but I've found that allergies come and go. Now I get to play food detective.

Gardening is in swing, and I should have a full garden in about a month. Snails or gophers ate some of my marigolds and zinnia seedlings, and I'm having to start all over with those. I knocked out some tall weeds and tilled a large section of the garden area by myself*. My vegetable seedlings are still separate, as I started those in small pots and used K-Cups. Those are doing well, so far. Corn was a bust, as none of the seeds germinated, but the seeds were from last year's seed batch. I'll start over with a new corn seed packet in about a week. Planted in the garden area are a row of strawberries transplanted from another section in the yard - last year's plantings, rosemary, jalapenos and poblano chilies.

Some of my babies.

I enjoy gardening, but I just don't get the same adrenaline rush from gardening as I do from running. Unless I'm tearing up soil with a hoe and pick ax, there's no adrenaline. Gardening tends to be a "Zen" type of thing, and I suppose it can be therapeutic and calming, but I need my running fix. I've also realized that I put all of my eggs in one basket with the running. Many people have suggested triathlons, but I'm not quite at that point in my head. I have the ability, I'm just need to be 100% on board with the idea, and I'm not right now. Maybe later. I need to figure out some sort of activity that gives me the same rush that running does, which does not require feet.

The San Diego Rock 'N' Roll Marathon/Half Marathon is looming with about one more month to go. Hubs did an 18 miler last weekend, but has just discovered that he has plantar fasciitis. I have to get on him about stretching and icing the foot, since he complains about it, but does nothing to remedy the situation. He's thinking about switching over to the half marathon. I'm encouraging him to stick with the whole. He's put in the miles already. I'm (mentally) set for the half. It concerns me that I haven't been able to do ANY training, but it will be around that time when I'll be able to at least walk/jog 13.1 miles. Unless there's some miracle, it will be my slowest half marathon ever, but I'm OK with that. Just being able to participate makes me very happy.

Thursday's Song:
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of - U2 - Run-DMZ

PEACE

PS
May the 4th be with you!

*
The dog supervised.

10 comments:

misszippy said...

I love gardens. Unfortunately, we have a very shady lawn, so nothing will grow there. But I use a CSA, so I do get to enjoy fresh stuff. Keep the faith on the running...don't throw in the towel yet!

Jill said...

Nothing wrong with slowest 1/2 ever, at least you get to do it and it can only get better from there. Still, can't help but wonder if there IS that miracle hidden somewhere deep :). Love your garden! We're still having freeze warnings here at night so i don't even have any plants outside yet. Maybe next weekend!!

Unknown said...

I am completely obsessed with my garden. And I love reading about yours and seeing the pictures! But, I understand what you mean, it's not the same as running.

Heal quickly!

RobinLK said...

Oh, Irene! Not sure where to begin tonight! Your garden looks wonderful - I'm envious of your babies. :) Beautiful and well done in the darn boot. Bless your heart about TJ's and being oh-so-careful. Yikes!

That's a bummer about hubs dealing w/ PF. I do, too, and keep the frozen water bottle in the fridge. In fact, have been drafting a post about the required stretching/rollig to work it out. Really impedes my running sometimes...and foot doc says can lead to knee/hip problems. Not good. As for you, friend... I'm hoping you'll be walking if participating at all. I soooo hear YOU! You want to be there, but the whole running thing... well, you know my story. Be careful. And slow is perfectly acceptable. Take it from the Turtle Runner! :)

As for things that will replace running temporarily, I'm at a loss on that one....

iJuls said...

You look so cute gardening in the boot.

I Run for Fun said...

Gardening is so relaxing. Too bad I have a black thumb.

You will both have fun at the Rock n' Roll. Hope both of you get better soon!

Anonymous said...

The Eagles.

I thought the same thing as iJuls .... you look so cute gardening in your boot.

I would love to have a garden but just don't think I'd be very good at. Something about dirt and bugs -- not my style.

We did just get word that our city is having a Farmer's Market this year!!! YAY!!!

Anne said...

I'm with you on gardening versus running. And so sorry that Michael has PF. Yes, get him to stretch and ice...and borrow your boot!

Glenn Jones said...

Do I sense a community BBQ to celebrate the cornucopia harvest soon? Yeah. Gardening is zen I guess. I just don't have the patience to wait for harvest!

Take care of the foot. I'll be waiting at the finish line in San Diego for you!

Dori said...

Irene, I'm so sorry about your foot! I had to read your old posts to see what happened. still not sure, but the result is fracture. You have gone thru so much these last 2 years. Hang in there, you did it before and you can do it again! good luck to Michael for his marathon.