Tuesday, December 09, 2008

(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?


I'm not quite sure what happened yesterday, but I made a half a turkey with most of the trimmings. I trekked out to the grocery store thinking I could pick up some turkey breasts, but all they had were half turkeys. I ended up with about 7 pounds of a half turkey. Even the package with the giblets was cut in half. Weird. I also made sweet potatoes, regular mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots and cranberry sauce. Oh, and pumpkin pie for dessert. I really had not intended to go that far, but I just was on a roll, plus I had mashed pumpkin in the freezer from halloween. I also got to use some of my new kitchen gadgets, like the big guns food processor. I've never made pie crust that fast before. I made everything, nothing came out of a can. I guess I wanted to make my lower fat and non-dairy version of a turkey dinner. We won't get into how high the carbs were, and I wasn't even thinking about carb-loading or running. I left out things like butter and used vegetable stock and a little olive oil instead. In the sweet potatoes I used fresh squeezed orange juice (we have an abundance of oranges in our yard right now), left out most of the added sugar (used 1/2 a cup instead of a whole cup) in the cranberry sauce and used orange juice instead of water in the cooking process. I just felt like cooking. My son was perplexed and wondered why I was making such a big meal, if there was some special occasion. I just replied with "I just felt like it." I did feel like I was missing a salad, but there was so much food. At the end of the meal, my son came out of the woodwork to say "thank you" for the meal. I guess I was just missing the left-overs that go with Thanksgiving dinner, and the left-overs were left over at my in-laws house.

The turkey sandwiches for lunch today were awesome.

Today's song is one I never would have thought of for the holidays until now, but I'm including it in my holiday music mix.

Yesterday's song:
We Wish You A Merry Christmas - The Brady Bunch, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Kenny G, Raffi, Patti Page, The Chipmunks, Gary Hoey, Ashanti, Willie Nelson, etc... - Run-DMZ

PEACE

4 comments:

Anne said...

Next time you're that ambitious with a weekday dinner, come over to my house! And I love this song by ELVIS COSTELLO.

Deene said...

i agree with ann about the dinner or just invite me over, i'll bring the salad.

FV Tom said...

I'll bring the wine!

Sounds delicious.

Irene said...

Anne,
Winner! My husband's college buddy was a big time Elvis Costello fan. :)
Winner. Next time I feel like cooking up a storm I will give you a call.

Deene,
This is turning out to be a party!

Tom,
Ooooooh! Deal!