Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)

Today's workout was lower body. Sans weights -- squats, back extensions, side leg lifts, and abs.

I run by myself the majority of the time. I know I've said this before, but running is my "ME TIME." Most of the time running is my therapy, my Zen, my escape, my meditation, mine. From time to time I wonder how it would be to run with a group or another person who runs about my speed on a regular basis. Would my running get faster, get easier, be more fun? My next (sort of) goal is to get with a running group so I can answer these questions. I have several options, as there's actually quite a few running groups here in town.

My brother has volunteered to unofficially run with me at the half marathon this weekend. I love my brother dearly, BUT my brother finds my pace slow (he has about a 7:30 to 8 minute mile pace for a half marathon) and gets kind of antsy right away. Plus, he's a talk runner. He'll talk the whole way and keep pace. I do enjoy a little chatter here and there during a run, especially when the other runner runs about my pace. The conversations from my brother are not just little chatter here and there, they are full on conversations about the meaning of life - and then some. I don't think I have the energy to have my brother run with me. I appreciate the sentiment but I'm not up to his speed, and I don't think I'll ever be there. I think his support will be better appreciated if he cheers for me on the sidelines, for a change. I rarely have anyone cheering for me on the sidelines. I've already asked my husband to be waiting for me at the end, and I'm hoping my brother will humor me and hang out with my husband. Besides, they both work in the same field and will have plenty to talk about.

Peace

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Backofpack said...

Irene,
Thanks for checking in on my blog! Are you coming to coffee? Hope we get a chance to meet. If we don't then I'll tell you now - GOOD LUCK! Have a great run!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your run - with or without company - but I hope with your small cheering section!

Miss Rachel said...

"Full on conversations about the meaning of life" - sounds as if it could be interesting, but I can understand not necessarily conducive to running. Such conversations sound more conducive to hiking to me.

Good luck on the race!

smartypantz32 said...

Conversations are overrated, especially while trying to run! Not that I’ve ever had a conversation while running I’m usually to busy gasping for air! Enjoy the race and we’ll all be cheering for you.

The White Stripes

Anne said...

I admit I'm a babbler, but for good reason. For some of us, it actually helps to run a faster pace because talking helps regulate breathing...and keeps our mind off the unpleasantness creeping into our lungs and legs.

Good luck to you this weekend, Irene!!

barbie2be said...

the white stripes?

i have a friend from work that likes to walk with me. she is a talker too. drives me crazy because like you, i get into a zone and just cruise. the talking slows me down.

Anonymous said...

No talking for me while running. I'm usually gasping for breath! Great workout today and have a great run! Hope you get your cheering section! If not, know that we are cheering for you here!

Irene said...

Michelle,
I hope we get a chance to meet! Good luck on your Marathon!

Amy - Thanks!

Smartypantz - I do OK with some chatter but because I run at a slower pace than my brother it frustrates him, and makes me feel like I can't keep up, especially when he starts talking! LOL... WINNER!

Anne - I've run with you before and your "babbling" doesn't bother me at all, in fact, it's fun... well at least the mile or two we did run together. ;) I hope there's more events that we in run together in the future. Take care!

Barbie2be - The reasons why prefer not to run with my brother is because I slow him down and it makes him nervous, and the reasons why I don't like to run with my husband is because he likes to talk about work, and he runs slower than I do.

Evelyne - Yeah, that too... The breathing! Thanks for your support!