Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Nature's Stairmaster

I managed to convince my son that today would be a great day for a hike up Cowles Mountain. This morning the air was a little brisk so I opted for jeans, a cotton T-shirt, light weight jacket and old cheapie hiking boots. Once we arrived at the mountain I realized I was over-dressed. Running clothes made of wicking material would have been perfect. I was toasty! The mountain path on the side of the mountain we hiked on is rather vertical. For every one of my son's long strides, were two of my strides... Needless to say, he was several feet way ahead of me. Oh, I can out run him any day on a relatively flat surface, but as far as mountain climbing goes, he has the advantage there! It took about 45 minutes to get to the top of the mountain, which is 1.5 miles. I remembered to bring my new camera so I took a few shots from the top...

Hey! I can see my house from here!


A view of Lake Murray, where I spend a great deal of time running.


Erik deep in thought...


Me at the top.


I've realized that I also need to invest in a decent pair of trail or hiking boots/shoes. I am so used to my cushy running shoes. While wearing the cheapo hiking boots I could feel every rock and pebble along the trail... I am glad that I did go on this hike, and, perhaps, I could incorporate this hike somewhere in my marathon training regimen that is to come at the end of this month.

No comments: