Saturday, June 05, 2010

The Good Life

This past week has been a whirlwind of busy. I had all kinds of posts planned, but I just never had the chance to sit down and formulate the words.

As I had mentioned in a prior post, my sister was in town for a bit. We spent more time together on Memorial Day and just chilled out at the beach. It was also the first time in a long time that I was able to spend quality time with my own family. Yes, we see each other every day, but to actually have the five of us spending time together joyfully interacting was wonderful. Life becomes busy and we don't always get the chance to enjoy our own company.

My daughter graduated from Grossmont College with an Associates of Arts degree and a certificate in Dance, and will be transferring to San Diego State University.

Hooray Renee!

Next on the agenda is everything that leads to the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon & Half Marathon on Sunday, June 6, 2010.  I truly wanted to be running the full marathon, but it was not to be.  Next year.  I am thrilled to be participating in the half marathon with no time expectations.  I really haven't trained for it, but I know I can finish it since I already have the mileage base.  I'm not experiencing any pre race jitters, anxiety or nervousness.  I'm keeping an open mind.

Friday afternoon hubs and I attended the expo to pick up our race numbers and swag.  We brought cameras, but didn't take a lot of pictures because it's pretty much the same as it always is, since we've done a few Rock 'n' Roll events.  We did see our niece's BFF, Mandy, working at the Sports Authority  section, who we did not expect to see:

 Mandy has become like another niece. :)

After the expo and a quick trip to Movin' Shoes to use a gift certificate for Gu and a water bottle, we made a brief stop at home, then back out to the San Diego Track Club's annual Rockin' 'n' Runnin' pasta dinner.  I love attending this dinner because we get to see what everyone looks like all cleaned up.  We're used to seeing each other in running garb and sweaty.  There were many highlights of this evening for me.  I shared a table with friends:

"Making a difference" at our dinner table.

Before the dinner started, Hubs noticed a couple of people talking to Meb Keflezighi, 2004 Olympic silver medalist, 2009 New York City Marathon winner and our guest speaker.  Since there weren't hoards of people wanting to talk to him, I took the opportunity to meet him.  He was so gracious.  I mentioned that we shared a similar injury, the hip fracture, and, without missing a beat, he said, "what is wrong with us?"  LOL.  Then HE started asking ME questions about my injury, if I had surgery, if one leg is longer than the other, about therapy and if I'm still running, etc.  I'm sure he's had a busy day, since he spoke at the expo and met people for a few hours there, THEN came to our track club's event.  I was impressed that he took the time to talk to and listen to each of us who met with him. I must admit that I kind of dorked out and was all giddy afterward. 

Meb & me.

Is this so cool or what?

In all seriousness, it was wonderful meeting Meb.  Ever since I found out about his hip fracture, and to come back to WIN the New York City Marathon is such an inspiration to me.  Even though we're at polar ends of the running spectrum, he gives me hope that I, too, can persevere.

I'm well trained as ready as I can be, considering I couldn't run for nine weeks. Hubs and I have reservations at PF Changs for our last carb load meal.  We just need to have an "easy" day. 

It just wouldn't be a pre race blog post if I didn't post a picture of my race number and what I'm wearing:

My new fuchsia tank top and a Runningskirts.com floral print skirt.  If I can't set any PRs, then I might as well look cute.  I have this thing about numbers, and this race number contains 5s, which are usually good for me.

Send some positive thoughts to my hubs.  He's running the full marathon and dealing with plantar faciitis.

See you on the other side of the finish line!

Wednesday's Song:
Don't Speak - No Doubt - Katiefeldmom

PEACE

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Renee!!! What a great accomplishment!!!

Good luck this weekend!!! I'll be thinking of you and hope you have a good time.

Unknown said...

I'm envious that you got to meet Meb!

Have a great time, you'll look stunning in that outfit. And best wishes to your Hubby.

:-)

Aka Alice said...

I'm completely jealous about you meeting Meb. One year I'll make it to a SDTC Pasta Dinner...

We must have been at the Expo at roughly the same time! It was a zoo, but I'm sure today is worse.

Can't wait until the morning. Elsie and I moved to Corral 20...and you know I'm sending Michael lots of positive thoughts for his THIRD marathon!

Glenn Jones said...

Congrats to Renee! It's sooo competitive in the college sweepstakes these days. My daughter was on pins and needles waiting to hear about her transfer (she got in to UC Irvine!)

I'll be on the lookout tomorrow morning!

Unknown said...

We're going to be at mile 11 cheering for you! I'll look for you and your cute skirt!!!

Kyra said...

Congrats to Renee! And what a cool thing to meet Meb! And can I just say that your bib is SO much cooler than the RnR San Antonio? Sheesh... I'm gonna have to pick better races! ;)

leslie said...

Super cute skirt! Have a blast in the half!

Anne said...

You're going to look gorgeous! Have a great race and good luck to you hubs! :)

Joyce said...

What a whirlwind weekend! Congrats to your daughter, and I'm sending positive vibes to you and the hubster for today's big day. :) And it's so cool you got to speak w/Meb. I'd have a giddy moment, too, if I were able to meet him!

Black Knight said...

Now Meb can tell that he met you!
Congrats to your daughter. Have a great race.

Tricia said...

looking forward to your recap!

Pink Granite said...

Congratulations to Renee!
How cool you visited with Meb - Wow!
And all the best to you and your husband - keeping my fingers crossed for you both...
;o)
- Lee

SDrunner said...

Awesome that you got to meet and talk to Meb. I didn't get to hear him speak at the expo, but did hear Ryan Hall, which was cool. Hope everything turned out well for you at the half.

Anne said...

Big congratulations to Renee! She didn't have the typical college student experience, which makes her accomplishment all the more impressive. And I'm looking forward to hearing how it went yesterday. We watched the streams of half marathoners coming down Sea World Drive and was amazed as the huge waves of humanity.