Monday, January 11, 2010

Start Me Up

...because I just can't get in gear.

Since we've been back from our trip I've been busy, but at the same time I feel as if I'm going in slow motion. I've been fending off a cold since I've returned. It never went into a full on cold, but it was enough to make me tired.

I'm back with the San Diego Track Club's Rockin' 'n' Runnin' marathon training program. I'm still not sure if I'll run the whole marathon, half marathon or relay. I'm going to wait a few weeks before deciding. I attended the first meeting last Saturday, (*yawn* it went a bit long, and I was not feeling up to par) and opted out of running that morning due to the residual cold symptoms. During that time I caught up with Cindi*, who is on a running hiatus for an injured foot. I did get to see several returning runners, as well as many new faces.

The track club has a mentoring program for the marathon training program, but this is the first year the mentors are distinguished by red hats or visors. I just happened to wear my red had that morning. Someone asked me a question about the mentoring program. Eeek! I'm not a mentor, but I knew what to tell the guy. My husband had his long-sleeved navy blue San Diego Track Club shirt on. A few newbies asked him quesitons, too. I guess he looked official.

Also, on Saturday, was the Jackie Bristow Memorial 5k run. This run was to remember my friend's daughters who died from complications of an eating disorder. I had planned to attend and participate in this 5k, but returning home from the trip a bit under the weather caused me to stay in town. It would have been a 2 & 1/2 hour drive north, which isn't that bad, but we would have stayed the night and made the most of the trip, perhaps visiting other friends from college. It was not to be, but I made a donation to the event instead. From all accounts, it sounds like they had a successful event. I felt sad not attending, but I promised my friend that we'd see each other this year.

This morning I was on the upswing and managed to show up for my first RU workout of the year. It wasn't difficult, yet it really got me going. My impending half marathon was discussed, and it's pretty unanimous that I won't be attempting any PRs, but to finish. I've only run 3 miles since returning from Mexico. I'm not opting out. I'll run it. It doesn't have to be pretty.

I also managed to take down the Christmas decorations today. I honestly wasn't planning to put up much of anything this year, perhaps the little fiber optic tree we bought at Target for $20 last year, but a certain 6 year old boy kept asking about the big tree and ALL the decorations, so I buckled under the pressure and put up the big tree. Now I just need someone to dig out the storage boxes so I can put everything away.

Loose Ends:

Several people asked about how safe we felt in Mexico, in light of certain events that recently took place while we were there. I actually never felt in danger while we were on our trip. Bad things can happen anywhere, not just in another country. Flight security was just as tight in Mexico as it is in the United States, in addition to walking past a scanner that checked body temperature. There was never a sense of unrest in the small cities/villages we had been to. We're already talking about a return trip in a couple of years.

I'm still waiting on my pictures. My husband copied my photos onto his laptop, then copied them to a flash drive as "read only." I could not change the "read only" option to upload them onto Blogger or Photobucket. He brought the laptop home to copy the photos onto our main computer, but he couldn't get that to work, either. Today he said he copied the photos to a disk and is bringing that home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Most of those photos are from the first half of our trip.

Waiting at the bus station in Queretaro. I've become good at waiting. I'm till waiting for my pictures!

Wednesday's Song:
Street Of Dreams - Frank Sinatra - Lala Ween World

*who was equally bored and texed me a few times during the meeting.


Miss Rachel said...

Gotta hate those long boring meetings, even if it has to do with something you're interested in.

I'm glad you felt safe in Mexico so that your vacation wasn't clouded by worry.

The song was done by the Rolling Stones.

Anonymous said...

I loved your post. Injury and illness can sometimes get the best of us. You seem to determined to get to the finish line of your half marathon - THAT'S GREAT!

Making a donation when you cannot be at the race is just as meaningful as it shows that you care.

Welcome home :-)

Glenn Jones said...

Welcome back home and to the blogging world. I'm waiting with baited breath for those pictures!

Jo Lynn said...

Maybe you've only run 3 miles since returning but it's not like you don't know how to run 13.1 miles. Right? Right! ;)

Anne said...

Did I ever tell you I went to visit Joan and talked to Wednesday on the phone about Jackie and the run in her honor? Unfortunately, no one at the women's running magazine was interested in a human interest story, especially when all of their issues now feature airbrushed anorexics.

Rookie on the Run said...

Bummer that you're feeling a bit under the weather! That is no fun!

I was wondering if you felt safe in Mexico. I'm glad you had fun and didn't fear for your safety.

Get better!

Laura Lohr : My Beautiful Life said...

I hope you get to feeling better soon. I considered joining the RnR training program, but I cannot seem to get myself to the early morning runs.

We went to Mexico a year ago or so and it was a bit unsettling. I am glad you felt pretty safe!