Friday, January 29, 2010

It's A Heartache

The cold is passing, but I still have a raspy "Bonnie Tyler" voice. I guess this round of colds is running a muck, though. It seems everyone has it. I'm beginning to feel fluffy, though, with no RU workouts or running this week. I know everything will go back to normal in a week or two.

On Christmas day my son was in a car accident. Don't worry, no one was hurt, just damage to the car. He was driving in a residential area of Ocean Beach and the police were responding to a domestic disturbance, but did not have their lights or sirens on. My son had the right-of-way and was already in the intersection. The police did not check for traffic and drove through the stop sign, hit the car my son was driving, spun it out, then hit a house. The police were at fault, but it has been a pain dealing with the city of San Diego, insurance, and being a car short. The car my son was in was a 2001 Volvo S80, which I called "The Tank" because it was so friggin' heavy and had lousy gas mileage. Not my favorite car, but safe for my son and all of his amps, instruments and PA gear (he's a musician.) The car was drivable, but it cost more to fix it than it was worth. This couldn't have come at a worse time for many reasons, and public transportation isn't the best here.

I went car shopping yesterday, but not before I researched several vehicles. I went out and test drove several cars. I wanted to get a pre-owned economy car, but the makes and models I wanted to see were sold out or had high miles. I called a few dealerships to see if they had what I was looking for, which was a Honda Fit, receiving outstanding reviews for a car in it's class. I happened to find only one place in town that just received three 2010 Honda Fit yesterday, with the protective plastic wrap still on everything. It had about two miles on it when we went to test drive it. I wasn't looking for a new one, but they had exactly what we were looking for, and well under our budget. Michael was hoping for a few more extras on this car, but we purchased the basic model, with just about no frills on it. We may add a couple of things later that will be more of a convenience, and the car will most likely end up going to my daughter. I just get to drive it first. Of course, today they've just posted a recall on it, but for the electric window button. Ah well. For a smaller economy car it drives quite well and feels really solid, unlike a few other economy cars I test drove, and the great gas mileage is a plus.

By the way, my son will most likely be driving the old Ford Explorer that my daughter now uses.

Tomorrow the track club is meeting at Carlsbad. I'll probably hang with the back of the pack, depending on how I feel and, perhaps, walk/run. I'm still a bit draggy, but I feel like I need some fresh air or something.

Wednesday's Song:
Piano and I - Alicia Keys

PEACE

Edit - The recall turned out to be on the 2008 and 2009 Honda Fit, not the 2010 model. Yay.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're feeling a little bit better and I hope your run goes well! Is the track club meeting up here for RnR training? Have fun, Irene!

Anonymous said...

Purty new car!!! I can smell the new car scent from here!!!

Hope you're feeling better soon!!!

Anne said...

Thanks for the song clue - Bonnie Tyler!

I loathe car shopping, which may explain why we hold on to our cars for at least 10 years. I hope the Fit turns out to be a great fit for the family.

Unknown said...

Happy to hear that things are on the up side! :0) (sorry about the accident stuff though...)

Glenn Jones said...

I'm happy to hear there wer no serious inuries Irene! Car damage may be a pain, but can be dealt with a lot easier.

I think that tht car is one of the cutest on the road - not to menion one of the most economical. just went through a car buying excercise myself, and when you look at the Fit against other "green" cars like the Prius, the Fit is definitely one of the best deals on the market.

As far as saftey, my dsughter was rear ended at a toll booth in Northern California in her Accord a couple years bak. The roads were wet ad the guy hit her going 50 mph. Not only was she okay for the most part, but the car was nt totaled! Turns out that Hondas do such a good job of retaiing value that the $16,000 repair bill still make it economical for the insurance company to repair the car.....

Thanks for the idea about the compression sleeve. I'm goin to take a couple days off t see how my leg responds first. If necessary, I'll resort to a sleeve.

IronWaddler said...

That car is too cute!!

Aka Alice said...

You are hardly what I would call "fluffy" but a week off from running/exercise can make anyone feel that way.