Monday, March 07, 2011

Hard Headed Woman

I went to my therapist on Sunday.


I was reluctant to go at first, but I really needed to put myself out there.


At first I felt so awkward. It's just me and my thoughts, trying to work out my feelings, my emotions, my strengths and weaknesses.


I wanted to cry, but I felt more like laughing.


My head was full of contradictions.


"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, gosh darn it, people like me."


"I am woman, hear me roar."


"I'm drained."


"I'm tired."


"Persevere." 


"Who am I kidding?" 


My therapist reminded me that I needed to keep on going, that no one is going to carry me. Sometimes things just suck. That's just the way it is. That's not what I wanted to hear, but she is right. As much as I wish that someone else would carry me, it's up to me.


My therapist also reminded me that it's OK to stop and smell the flowers, watch the birds fly and the children play. It's OK to take a break. 

When I was finished with my session I felt better.


Meet my therapist.

13.62 miles of therapy on Sunday.

Saturday's Song:

Why Not Me? - The Judds

PEACE

8 comments:

Jill said...

I'm coming out for some therapy with you!!

Chris K said...

Ha Ha, you GOT me.

Irene is so clever.

Unknown said...

:-)

Get this my validation word on this post is "mends". How appropriate.

Pink Granite said...

Very good!
Continue to be kind to yourself.
Wishing you all the best...

Anonymous said...

:-)

Joyce said...

It is my therapist as well. ;)

Nitmos said...

And you didn't have to pay $150 for the session! (But you also didn't get any Valium either)

Glenn Jones said...

*This* is why I am soooo eager to get back to running regularly.