Sunday, October 04, 2009

Wherever I May Roam

Harbor Island
(Yes, I've used this picture before.)



It still feels weird to run with another group. My husband goes one way and I go another.

Yesterday wasn't a scheduled run for the track club, but a SDTC 5k event. My husband volunteered to be traffic control and course marshal. He mentioned having to stop car traffic so that the runners could go by. This intrigued me because I was under the impression that this course was closed to car traffic. Michael said he was a little startled when he saw the runners coming up in the distance in one direction, and cars coming toward them in the other direction.

Yesterday I ran with the RU gang . A few of the PTs were there, including mine, but on bike. The route I selected went from a Point Loma bike shop to Harbor Island and back, which is not unfamiliar territory for me. I did take a small piece of paper with written directions in BIG PRINT with me. I really like this because I'd prefer not to deal with a map, or squint to see the small print. The track club often takes this same route, but starting and finishing at Harbor Island. I started the run with two other women, but we soon got into our own paces and I suddenly found myself pulling ahead, then running by myself for most of the time. I got to my halfway point and ran along side a few of the people in the marathon program, but that only lasted a few minutes, as they went in another direction to get in more miles.

Here's what my stats looked like:

Activity: Run
Date: 10/03/09 07:34 AM
Distance: 6.21 miles
Time: 1:05:20
Speed: 5.7 mph
Pace: 10' 31 min/mile
Calories: 599

I did see several familiar SDTC members out there while I was running. I guess they needed more than 3.1 miles.

A few minor things -- The bike shop was not open before the run, so no restroom. I supposed I could have gone into the Jack in the Box a block away, but I always feel like I have to make a purchase, as a courtesy. I had no cash on me. I had to make a pit stop at around mile 4 which slowed me way down, and I had a hard time getting myself going again, even with just two more miles to go. Once I stop, I'm done. I guess that's my own issue, but I was under the impression that the bike shop would be open for us to use the restroom, get water and get ready. The other thing was no water or aid station out on the route. One of the runners mentioned that they really needed that kind of hydration stop and was going to TRY to get one of their family members to sit out there with water and electrolytes. We're not a big group and we were told to carry our own liquids, but it's nice to have a mid way point that you have to get to, sort of like checking in. I also missed going out to breakfast. Everyone pretty much takes off afterward. They do go out after the Wednesday night workouts, which is nice, but I reeeeaaaaly like breakfast, and the establishment we go to doesn't serve breakfast at 7:30 PM.

I do enjoy training with RU, the Wednesday night workouts are really intense and fun, I'm meeting a whole bunch of people who I wouldn't have met otherwise, and when it's all done there's a big party in Las Vegas. I think with some minor tweaking, they could have a stellar marathon/half marathon training group.

My brother ran a personal record today at the San Jose Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon, finishing in 1:32:30, which put him 10th in his division. I can't even fathom being in the top ten in my division of a race that has about 18,000 participants. He wasn't expecting to PR, since his prior PR wasn't that long ago, finishing in 1:41 and change.

Facebook has been a mixed thing for me. I primarily use it to log my running, but it's certainly not limited to just running. While I prefer not to be in contact with certain people (well, certain person), I have been able to reconnect with one of my closest friends. We've known each other since the first grade, attended the same high school, and spent a little time at community college together. It's kind of funny, but no matter how much time passes when you haven't talked to a person, you still laugh over the same stupid things when you do finally reconnect. We even laughed a bit over our injuries. She told me about dropping a $2 can of pumpkin on her foot, which broke several bones and needed surgery, and I filled her in on my fun with my hip/femur surgery. Good times. We chatted for an hour on the phone last night. We were caught up with our lives to a certain point, but there was plenty more to catch up on. I must put a trip to Portland, Oregon on the list of things to do in the near future. My friend did mention a marathon in her area. Hmmmm.


Thursday's song:

Come Together - The Beatles - Tenderfoot Diaries

PEACE

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'm over Facebook but it has been nice reconnecting, I agree with you. Sounds like your brother had a nice race, congrats to him on his PR!

Unknown said...

So it seems you kind of ran with people, and kind of ran alone. Interesting mix...

Anne said...

I'm surprised by the car traffic too because it said on the race literature it was a closed course. I guess no one told the park service.

Sounds like you had a nice group run, bathroom stop not withstanding.

Glenn Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glenn Jones said...

Wow! 1:32? I can't even imagine that kind of time for a HM! Congrats to your brother.

The whole not having anything on the course is actually one of the things we deal with in my club. We have a bunch of people who want to be runners, but no one who wants to be a course helper. So, what some do is get a cheapo ice chest, fill it with ice, water, gatorade, etc., and then plop it down somewhere on the course. It really comes in handy on those long runs.

It's great to see that you're able to put in the miles again! Way to go!

Deene said...

One of my previous run groups used to leave an old Igloo cooler filled with water and a note halfway along the course. It worked fine.

congrats to your brother!

Irene said...

Meg,
I'm not really cut out for Facebook, but finding long lost friends have been a plus.

Lisa,
I'm still getting used to it. With the track club there was always someone to run with.

Anne,
Michael says he told a few of the race coordinators about the traffic. It was a nice "group" run, but I really missed the group.

Glenn,
Yeah, that's smokin'... He's going to attempt getting a BQ for the first time, perhaps next year. I'll bring up your suggestion to the group and see what they think.

Deene,
It's a good idea. :)