Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rattled

This is what the inside of my head looks like about now.

You know what happens when you don't check your reader or feed for a couple of weeks?  You end up with a zillion things to read and not enough time to read anything.  You end up just marking everything as "read" and start fresh. With one coworker off for two weeks, then another coworker getting sick, and the onslaught of patients using their flex spending plans before a certain date, work has been rather hectic. Once I get home and have some sort of dinner, I'm done for the day.  The hard part is that, no matter how worn out I am, my brain just won't shut off, thinking about all the things I did and all the things I need to do and other unimportant matters:  
"Did I set the coffee maker?
Did I call the lab to check on orders?
Was that guy a jerk or was that my imagination?
The dog is making too much noise snoring.
Oh, crap, I forgot to call the vet.  Something about the dog needing more meds. Great.
The Housewives of Beverly Hills gets on my nerves. 
Laundry.  I should have done a load.  No one will notice that I've worn the same scrubs for four days. 
What was I thinking going back to work full time?
Oh yeah, money.
Matthew McConaughey or Johnny Depp?
Did I turn off the faucet in the bathroom?
Creamer.  Buy creamer tomorrow.
Files.  Must pull files on Wednesday for Monday's patients.
OK.  Mind, please go to Hawaii or Ixtapa, even the park down the street would be good.
Mind, please shut off and go BACK to sleep.
Where did I put my name tag?
Do I have enough gas in my car to make it to work in the morning?
I really should get out and run in the morning, even if it is a mile.
Mind, go to sleep!"
The amazing thing is that running has been my release.  Once I run, my head is clear.  Unfortunately, I've been too tired to run and I haven't trained well.  I run on the weekends.  I also have a half marathon THIS weekend, the Carlsbad Half Marathon/Marathon.  I know I'll finish.  That's not an issue.  Will I run unscathed?  Probably not.  Will I PR?  Definitely not.  I'm just going for the ride and just enjoy.  I don't want a recap of last year.  *Positive thinking*

I'm still waiting for my new Keurig. With the snow storms in the rest of the country, Fed Ex sent me a nice note saying my Keruig will be delayed due to the weather. Which reminds me, I need to set the coffee maker.

Song from Saturday, January 8, 2011
Can't Find My Mind - The Cramps

PEACE

7 comments:

misszippy said...

Thank goodness you have running to quiet down your busy brain!

Unknown said...

I have a mind that wont stop too.

Best wishes with your half marathon this weekend!

Anonymous said...

I drink scotch and that makes my brain go to sleep. ;-)

Unknown said...

At least you'll be running Carlsbad, it will be warm and fun! I'll look for you! Have fun!

Anne said...

Soon it'll all settle down and you can get in some running and some deep sleep. Hang in there.

Nitmos said...

I suggested that you post a picture of your work desk but that is a lot of paperwork...!!!

Anne said...

Hope you have fun running your marathon. Just enjoy the liberating joy of running :)