Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Yellow

I thought I had it all figured out. I had plans to get myself to the gym this morning, since I didn't need to be at work today. I ended up sleeping in... I guess there's something to be said about still needing rest after a cold that KO'ed me.

Once I got up, my next door neighbor asked to borrow a few "greens cans" for his tree trimmings. Once I got outside to give him the cans, I realized what a gorgeous day it is, so I did some puttering in my hap-hazard garden that is volunteering to grow all by itself. This is what I found:



Yellow squash. Not just yellow quash, but a huge yellow squash. I was amazed that, even with neglect, some things still thrive. Such is nature, I suppose. It's not total neglect, the garden isn't as pretty as it was last year, but it's still making an effort to show me what it can do. Even the nasturtiums, zinnias, dianthus, and marigolds are doing okay. I guess there's a philosophical lesson in all of this, somewhere, but I just don't have the energy to analyze it at the moment. I'm just happy everything is growing and colorful. Maybe last year's efforts weren't in vain after all.



No gardening day would be complete without my trusty sidekick, Logan. She kept me company and chased away what ever bee happened to be near by.



Peace

6 comments:

KatieFeldmom said...

Coldplay
Nice squash!!!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous squash. I love the flowers so beautiful. Logan is a lovely doggie. Give her kisses from me for chasing away those bees for you.

chantal2bfit said...

Nice garden you have there! I need to do something about mine.

And thanks for your feedback on the back-to-back-to-back half marathon!

barbie2be said...

that's a huge squash! and logan is beautiful. :)

Anonymous said...

That squash is gigantic! Wow!

Irene said...

Katie,
Winner!!! It was good, too!

Evelyne,
It was a surprise, to say the least. I'm glad it was a delicious squash. My dog is my constant companion. When I'm home she follows me everywhere. :)

chantal,
I still need to clean my garden to make it prettier, but the squash was a bonus! Good luck with all of your training!

Barbie2be,
It was, and she is! :)

Shopper,
It was heavy, too!