Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Never Grow Up

I've heard  that with change comes growth, and if that's the case, my family and I should all be 10 feet tall.

My son  finally got a job and moved out, which make us officially empty nesters, but I think I've seen my son more since he's moved out.  Hubs told him it was OK to come home and do laundry.  I'm OK with that, as long as he does all his own laundry. 

We bid a long  farewell to my husband's father.  The services did not take place right away, but about 8 days later for the rosary, followed by the funeral service the next day, then two days later a trip to a very cold and bleak Griswold, Iowa for the burial.  This was a bit taxing for my mother-in-law, but when it was all over we could sense that she was relieved.  I didn't make the trip to Iowa because I needed to be back at work, but I kept in touch with hubs through texts and nightly phone calls. 

My dog, Logan, had slowed down over the past year. Around the end of November we thought we were going to put her down because she had a couple of days where she couldn't get up, but she bounced back to her usual nose-y self.  Mid January her health suddenly took a turn, and the vet advised us to make her as comfortable as possible.  The day finally came where I had to take her to the Humane Society for euthanasia, but by the time I had filled out the paperwork and paid, she has passed away on her own.

1998 - 2013
The rosary for my father-in-law was that same evening, and, for whatever it's worth, the circumstances made it OK to grieve for both George and Logan.  People understood.  The hard part for me was seeing how heartbroken my son was, losing his grandfather and dog within such a short time.  My son was one of the caretakers for my in-laws and spent a lot of time with my father-in-law, and Logan was mostly our dog together. 

I never expected to be an empty nester and not have a dog.  Yes, I miss my kids and grandson, but I see them all at least once a week, if not more.  It's way too quiet. We still have Lumpy the cat, but he's super quiet until he comes out to eat.  I miss the click-clack of doggy toenails on the hardwood floors in the morning, when the dog would look to see why I wasn't up yet and come to give me a big wet kiss. I miss that she barked at certain noises -- and that made me feel secure. I loved my girl.  I'm already inquiring at dog rescues and at the Humane Society.  Applications have been sent and I've talked to a few people.  Now I just have to be patient and wait. 

My daughter announced that she will be graduating from San Diego State University in May 2013 with her Bachelors Degree. She plans on going for her Masters right away, if she can get in to the program.  When I find out, exactly, what the degree title is I'll post it. It has something to do with theater production arts. 

There are other changes on the horizon, but I can't discuss those until they actually happen.  It's time to grow.  There are good things ahead.  Really.

Song from January 20, 2013
Your Long Journey - Alison Krauss and Robert Plant



Lisa said...

That's a lot at once. Hang in there.

Anne said...

I'm so sorry to read about both your dog and your father-in-law...along with everything else...that is a lot all at once. Hugs ((()))

Anne said...

I remember meeting Logan. She was a great dog and a great companion. Trust me: You'll learn to love the less hectic and noisy house. And my guess is the laundry is your son's way of weaning himself. Hooray too to Renee's pending graduation.

Black Knight said...

Glad that there are good things ahead.
Sorry for the father in law and the dog: 2 sad news together.

jflynn1 said...

I lost my 15 year old dog and my father last year, they were both extremely difficult. You have my sympathy.