Thursday, December 22, 2011

(There's No Place) Like Home for the Holidays

December brought a slew of non-stop busy-ness.  It's been party, party, party... sort of.  I can't remember the last time Hubs and I were invited to a grown up party together until this year.  After Las Vegas, we had four holiday parties last week, plus our wedding anniversary of 29 years on December 11th.  This week was a little calmer but busy with baking and trying to remember what we did with certain Christmas decorations.  I went old school this year and used most of the Christmas decorations from the years when my kids were in grade school.   We also put up the tree in the living room this year. 



The dining room where the tree usually goes is, uh, having issues...  



Like last year, the Kiddo was my decorating buddy and helped me with the majority of the decorating.  Hubs put one ornament on, and and my son put a few up high were I couldn't reach, and my daughter was oblivious to other life around her while busy with studying for finals.  

Living room fireplace.  
I would so love to have a warm fire, but this fireplace needs to be repaired or torn down and rebuilt.  I put candles in it but there's no damper, and the air coming in through the top blows out my candles. *sigh*    The kiddo pointed out that since we can't burn anything in this fireplace that Santa won't get burned when he comes down our chimney.

The Kiddo

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas because I got this surprise delivered today:


Nothing says Merry Christmas more than socks, holiday peppermint Gu's, and Stingers from  blogger Tara - Colorado Runner!   Yay! 

The packages were shipped from REI.  When UPS delivered the boxes I was wracking my head trying to remember what I had ordered from REI.  Then it clicked that these were from my Secret Santa from the Bloggie Gift Exchange.  One box contained the great pair of Smartwool running socks, and the other box contained the Gu's and Stingers.  The timing is perfect because I'm out of any type of gel/goo electrolyte and I just might have to save a couple for the Carlsbad half marathon next month.  The socks are on my feet right now:

Warm and cushy!  I can't wait to run in these! Thanks so much, Tara!

On the running front, not a lot of running has been happening.  Somewhere between the parties and work, I caught a cold.  It's not a bad cold, but just enough to mess up the flow of day-to-day life.   I know I had the cold before I had to deal with the bratty snot-nosed kid patient and his clueless mother.* Gross. I hope to do a slow, longish run this Saturday morning, which happens to be Christmas Eve.

In other news, for the first time in YEARS (2000?) I received a cash bonus at work.  I honestly wasn't expecting much of anything, maybe a box of candy, but since I'm part-time right now I felt the bonus was rather generous.  I had plans for new Ugg boots and have change left over for an outfit, BUT one of my cats became rather ill yesterday and my bonus went towards paying the vet bill. Merry Christmas to my vet. Oh well.   At least I had that cash to help lessen the blow of that hefty vet bill, and for that I am grateful.    FYI, it was my little girl cat, Luna, the little bitty 8 pound cat who can beat up our 75 pound dog.  The vet thinks it's a thyroid issue.  She's doing much better now and will be on meds for a week.  Good times.

This year we didn't send out Christmas cards.  I suppose we could have, we just didn't.  I'm thinking of New Year's cards.   Just in case, consider this picture of the Kiddo and me your Christmas card from me:

Wishing you all lots of Christmas cheer!






Song from Thursday, December 8, 2011:  
Good Intentions - Toad the Wet Sprocket


 PEACE



*On the scale of one to ten in snotty-nosed grossness, this kid was a 10, plus he sneezed all over everything.  It was so gross that I felt the need to wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol when he and his mother left the building.  I'm not a germophobe, but felt gross dealing with this obnoxious kid.  I just don't understand parents who let their kids run a muck in a medical office, or any professional office.  Sheesh.

6 comments:

Kenley said...

Looks a lot like Christmas to me. Thanks for sharing the Cheer. Merry Christmas to you and the Family. Take care and don't forget to do a product review on the socks. lol

Jill said...

Oh how I love that last picture :).

Tara was bugging the crap out of me what to get you, really, she is so annoying! :) (we are good friends...and she is coming out to do the Carlsbad Half, too - yay. We MUST get a bloggy pasta dinner the night before, yes? Yes!). I'm glad you like the socks and GU stuff!

I bet Christmas is just so much fun with the little guy. Mine are so old now and don't help with any of the decorations or anything...but I guess it's nice they don't get up at 4am to open gifts now :).

A VERY Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family. We got to FINALLY meet this year - yay! Can't wait to see you again soon!

Black Knight said...

A very nice virtual Christmas Card!!!!
I agree too many holidays parties, I had to participate 3 in the same morning: it is very nice to meet so many friends but it's hard to taste everytime cakes and drinks.
You received a very nice gift. Jill made a very good job for all of us.
Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Anne said...

Merry Christmas to everyone in the family. Love the final photo; it definitely would be Christmas Card worthy.

Black Knight said...

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Teamarcia said...

Looks like you had a beautiful Christmas! Hoping too see you this weekend!